Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, everyone!
I arrived in Barcelona from the US last January. After waiting 3 months, I got my work and residency permits and could start my job. Now, three months later, it seems like I will be leaving that job (still in my probationary period). I don't want to leave Spain just yet, however!

Does anyone know how long I can take to find a new job (or study program) here before I have to go back to the US? I've done a bunch of googling but can't find anything! :fingerscrossed:

·
Registered
180 Posts
In the Netherlands I get 3 months to find a new job, sometimes these rules are similar throughout Europe.
Don't know for Spain sorry :( Good luck.

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
I can't find anything on Google either. But I would suggest that you seek professional help urgently.

It could be like the Netherlands, but it could be like Thailand (I was allowed until midnight on the last day of my employment to leave. My flight was booked to leave at 01.30 the following day and I was told by the immigration consultants that I should pass through passport control before midninght to avoid an overstay fine!)

·
Registered
180 Posts
I can't find anything on Google either. But I would suggest that you seek professional help urgently.

It could be like the Netherlands, but it could be like Thailand (I was allowed until midnight on the last day of my employment to leave. My flight was booked to leave at 01.30 the following day and I was told by the immigration consultants that I should pass through passport control before midninght to avoid an overstay fine!)
wow that's hardcore, not even time to pack your things!:eek:

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
The requirements for non-EU nationals vary between EU countries and frequently depend on the terms of the visa (eg. can apply only to the contract with the original employer). Also, some EU countries require you to return to your 'home' country in order to obtain a new work visa. In some countries you may be allow to remain for the duration of the visa, but not work. You need to check the actual terms of your visa - if you do not already have that information, then perhaps check with the Spanish consulate that issued it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts