Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello again everyone,
im back to ask a load of new questions!!
Tania and I are viewing a property in los montesinos next month and wondered if anyone lives there or know the area at all?
Thanks again all
Garry

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Hello again everyone,
Tania and I are viewing a property in los montesinos next month and wondered if anyone lives there or know the area at all?
Thanks again all
Garry
Hello again Garry, Tania

Not my area Im afraid ... but no doubt someone else will be along later to give you their view who knows the area better than me :D

Good luck!

Sue :plane:

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
Hello again everyone,
Thanks again all
Garry

I just looked it up on google earth and its somewhere between Murica and Alicante. It seems to have a great big lake thing close by!! There, thats all I know about it:rolleyes: But its in a "known" area to alot of folk on here so someone will tell you more I'm sure!

Jo xxxx

·
Banned
2,426 Posts
Yes, I have lived 5 miles away for 8 years - the "great big lake thing" is Europe's largest commercial salina - salt lake. (There are two in fact)

It was a cute enough Spanish town 10 years ago - there is now a huge expat urbanisation

What do you want to know?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reply steve.
First of all.....do you know if you can fish the lake? And what fish are in there?

At the moment there isnt anything in particular i want to know.
Just to know it was a friendly and clean area would be nice, although ill find out when i go out next month im sure.

What about the local bars nightlife restaurants etc ?
Can you think of any reasons why someone wouldnt want to live there?
Cheers steve

·
Banned
2,426 Posts
No, they are commerical salt lakes!

Plenty of fishing at nearby Torremendo.

I would not live there - too expat for me but if you are new to Spain you should be fine. Nightlife?!?!? Karaoke, bingo, quiz-evenings. This is god's waiting room. You are 15 minutes away from Orihuela Costa, Torrevieja etc if that appeals more.

In 1991 there were 35 non-Spanish on padrón. Now more than 4,000! Another town with 50% expat!

You would NEED a car - bus-service is hopeless. (Argument between Costa Azul buses and Torrevieja City Council about access rights)

Usual expat issue of no employment if that is a concern for you. If you are looking to live on
La Herradura (sprawling expat estate) there are few facilities and it very quiet out of season.

Pleasant enough little town was a dot on the map until they sold the groves off for the estate - huge new growth through to San Miguel shelved por la crisis. A little Friday market and an attempt at a Holy Week parade. José Manuel Butrón Sánchez the mayor is a nice enough guy (school teacher in Torrevieja) but usual allegations/counter-allegations of corruption etc. Seriously upset about all the prostitutes on the roundabouts and about how futile it is to move them on. Some famous election/council meeting speeches. He seems clean enough to me in all my dealings with him - only wants what is best for town. Lot of municipal infrastructure new town hall, pensioners association, astro-turf football pitch, police station, always free concerts/flamenco etc on in main square etc Great restaurant Doña Pepa 2 - don't take credit cards and don't try to attract expats. Menu only in Spanish and food to die for!

Alicante/Murcia airports 30 minutes away - championship football Elche, Murcia, Cartagena, Alicante (Hércules) shopping in Torrevieja, Elche, Murcia, Alicante. 10 mins from two HUGE Sunday markets - yes, two on same day a couple of miles from each other. Planning!! New budget hotel with stunning receptionist and scruffiest petrol station on the planet with great coffee/cakes.

Macro disco but mayor has is under control now. If somebody as spills a beer, he's looking to close it down and the owner knows it!

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
No, they are commerical salt lakes!

Plenty of fishing at nearby Torremendo.

I would not live there - too expat for me but if you are new to Spain you should be fine. Nightlife?!?!? Karaoke, bingo, quiz-evenings. This is god's waiting room. You are 15 minutes away from Orihuela Costa, Torrevieja etc if that appeals more.

TOO EX-PAT FOR YOU????? Stevie, you lived in Fuengirola?????? It doesnt get much more "ex pat" than that!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Jo xxx

·
Banned
2,426 Posts
You have clearly no idea what an expat urbanisation is, Jojo. These like Entre Naranjos, Doña Pepa, La Herradura, Orihuela Costa, Gran Alacant are just square miles of identical homes all sold/marketed to expats. The newsagents often do not even stock Spanish papers! They are usually not TOWNS like Fuengirola with bus-stations, train-stations, health centres etc. They are just "dormitory towns" and often as these are second homes the dormitory is deserted 9/10 ths of the year.

In Los Boliches I can happily survive a week without speaking English. In many of these urbs it is English/Irish bars, English supermarkets, hair-dressers, newsagaent, a/c shop etc with not a Spanish business on site. If that's what people like, fine. They would love Gran Alacant. In my apartment block in Los Boliches it it is less than 20% expat (mainly Scandis) on some of these urbs it is 99% expat.

Just opinions, just what floats each person's boat!

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Thats why I like Estepona ! :love: I should work for the local town hall! lol ...

seriously ... in our apartments (86 in total in two blocks) ... we are the only English couple living there, 2 Italian families, 1 Moroccan and the remainder are all Spanish ... only 12 units not sold / empty.

As you say Steve each to their own ... it wouldnt be for me to live in a predominantly expat urbanisation or area ... but for some people it works for them and therefore its ok

Sue :plane:

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
sorry for my last post!! :focus::focus::focus::focus::focus:

·
Banned
2,426 Posts
Er, of course I have! You just change the definition to suit yourself!!! Anyway :focus::focus:

Jo xxx
I am ON topic. I am the only one who has given the OP facts about Los Montesinos LOL

Sue, why are you sorry about the last post. Seemed totally 100% OK to me??

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I am ON topic. I am the only one who has given the OP facts about Los Montesinos LOL

Sue, why are you sorry about the last post. Seemed totally 100% OK to me??
because I digressed from the OP asking about Los Montesinos! I was back on Estepona again! lol

·
Banned
2,426 Posts
Anyway, Jojo wherever you want to take me for un cortado (calm down, Xtreme!) next week is fine. Just make sure they speak Spanish, have 3 different TV stations on and 2 different radios. If they don't know what boquerones are and have "Hoy" on the bar, I'll take you somewhere different!

Looking forward to a cut one!

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
Anyway, Jojo wherever you want to take me for un cortado (calm down, Xtreme!) next week is fine. Just make sure they speak Spanish, have 3 different TV stations on and 2 different radios. If they don't know what boquerones are and have "Hoy" on the bar, I'll take you somewhere different!

Looking forward to a cut one!
Thats nice, does this mean you're returning to Spain??? (eventho its on its knees and there is no work????) Are you going back to Fuengirola???

Jo xx

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Is it my old house????? It has a cockroach infestation you know!!!!

Jo xxx
...and dirty grouting dont forget! :D

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.