Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone!

So, here's the grand plan:

I have a boyfriend of three years, he's a British citizen and has been on a green card in the US since he was a kid. He's currently applying for dual citizenship because we'd like to try to get over to the UK for a year or two to work, once he finishes his US undergrad degree here by next summer.

We're both in our mid-twenties. I'm a US citizen with a bachelor's degree and some marketing/comm/writing skills.

Best case scenario would be for us both to find jobs and live in/near London for a year or two. He can find one doing whatever, once he gets the dual citizenship. I on the other hand...well, we're hoping it's possible for me to get over there with a work sponsorship.

Does anyone know if this is possible? We do NOT want to get married (yet), and I don't think I could afford to go to grad school over there on a student visa. Also we'd like to do it for only a few years and come back to the US. I've been reading up on the new visa tiers & whatnot, it's looks pretty daunting and there may even be deadlines for time and restrictions on how many people can get them?!

Any advice or experience stories would be awesome. I have a year to figure this all out while he finishes school, but I don't want to get my hopes up if this is next to impossible.

Thank you so much in advance!
-CrookedFlight

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have just applied for my Tier 2 visa, and the visa application itself didn't involve a difficult process. HOWEVER, in order to get a sponsor as a general Tier 2 applicant, you must either be employed in a so-called "shortage" occupation or the sponsor must undertake a "resident labour market test", which requires them to advertise in certain ways for approximately one month and certify that there are no EU or UK citizens that otherwise fit the criteria. Therefore, unless you have fairly unusual credentials, it can be very difficult to find a sponsor. My background is pretty unusual, and I'm heading to Edinburgh, rather than London, which may have been a factor. Others have said they've had a difficult time.

There is the option of the unmarried partner visa, which requires you to have lived together for two years as of the date of application. Is that something you'd qualify for by the time you apply?

·
Registered
39,151 Posts
Hey everyone!

So, here's the grand plan:

I have a boyfriend of three years, he's a British citizen and has been on a green card in the US since he was a kid. He's currently applying for dual citizenship because we'd like to try to get over to the UK for a year or two to work, once he finishes his US undergrad degree here by next summer.

We're both in our mid-twenties. I'm a US citizen with a bachelor's degree and some marketing/comm/writing skills.

Best case scenario would be for us both to find jobs and live in/near London for a year or two. He can find one doing whatever, once he gets the dual citizenship. I on the other hand...well, we're hoping it's possible for me to get over there with a work sponsorship.

Does anyone know if this is possible? We do NOT want to get married (yet), and I don't think I could afford to go to grad school over there on a student visa. Also we'd like to do it for only a few years and come back to the US. I've been reading up on the new visa tiers & whatnot, it's looks pretty daunting and there may even be deadlines for time and restrictions on how many people can get them?!

Any advice or experience stories would be awesome. I have a year to figure this all out while he finishes school, but I don't want to get my hopes up if this is next to impossible.
While it's easy for your boyfriend to move to UK and try to get a job, it will be much more difficult for you to do the same.

If marriage isn't on the horizon, then, as you state, your only hope is job sponsorship by a UK employer, and there is severe restriction on hiring non-EU citizens. The only hope is if you have qualification and experience in an official shortage occupation (your description isn't hopeful), as the employer doesn't have to pass resident labour test. If there are plenty of suitable applicants in UK, then you don't stand a chance. With 3 million unemployed, it will be a tall order. Sadly Americans aren't eligible for youth mobility scheme (new name for working holiday). As a long-term aim, get hired by a multinational company with extensive UK presence, and after a few years they may transfer you to their UK operations (intra-company transfer). You have to be in an executive position - not general office work.

While it's not UK, Ireland offers a Work and Travel programme very similar to working holiday for Americans. You can live and work there for up to a year, and your British boyfriend has right to live and work in Ireland without a visa. Department of Foreign Affairs - US Work and Travel Getting a job in Ireland may be even a taller order, as the economy is in a very bad way, but at least the possibility is there.

·
Super Moderator
18,088 Posts
Just going to echo what the others have said that as a recent college graduate with little experience, it's extremely unlikely that you will find an employer willing or able to sponsor you for a Tier 2 visa.

There is the option of the unmarried partner visa, which requires you to have lived together for two years as of the date of application. Is that something you'd qualify for by the time you apply?
To clarify, to qualify for an unmarried partner visa you must have lived together in a realtionaship akin to marriage for at least 2 years.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey guys, thank you so much for your insight. Although discouraging, at least now I'll have a realistic view of what can and cannot happen. Unfortunately my boyfriend and I don't live together, and he hasn't lived in the UK since he was young, so that option I think is off the books. My only chance may be a company transfer- the job I'm in now has a sister business in the UK, so we'll see.

I wonder if I could freelance write? I bet you need substantial savings though or something. Ooooh what are those with a wanderlust supposed to do?! Haha.

Thanks again to you all!

·
Registered
39,151 Posts
I wonder if I could freelance write? I bet you need substantial savings though or something. Ooooh what are those with a wanderlust supposed to do?! Haha.
There is no visa category to fit your description, unless you are a world-renowed author using UK as your base. Self-employment is only possble if you qualify for another visa that allows you to work, such as marriage or you are investing at least £200k into a new or existing business.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.