Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received a letter of offer from my choice school, Chisholm institute. I thought I would be fine getting a loan, but I found out the school doesn't participate in any of the US loan programs. Then I began to look at personal loans, and found out due to the recession here my good credit, thanks to relativity, is not a good as it once was. That and most lenders aren't even given me the option of using a cosigner.

So the question I wanted to pose to you wonderful folks was this: Do you have experience with, or know of an Australian lender who will work with US citizens? I intend to use school as the stepping stone for immigrating to Australia permanently.

I had tried a skilled work visa, but I could not seem to find a way to coordinate my skillset with a job that was viable for the visa. I'm 22, and have a wide variety of skills, but none of them are really strong enough (in terms of experience) to qualify.

Maybe someone here has had a similar experience, or perhaps just has some advice or ideas to share.

Thank you for your time.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I received a letter of offer from my choice school, Chisholm institute. I thought I would be fine getting a loan, but I found out the school doesn't participate in any of the US loan programs. Then I began to look at personal loans, and found out due to the recession here my good credit, thanks to relativity, is not a good as it once was. That and most lenders aren't even given me the option of using a cosigner.

So the question I wanted to pose to you wonderful folks was this: Do you have experience with, or know of an Australian lender who will work with US citizens? I intend to use school as the stepping stone for immigrating to Australia permanently.

I had tried a skilled work visa, but I could not seem to find a way to coordinate my skillset with a job that was viable for the visa. I'm 22, and have a wide variety of skills, but none of them are really strong enough (in terms of experience) to qualify.

Maybe someone here has had a similar experience, or perhaps just has some advice or ideas to share.

Thank you for your time.
Did you check out this:

Loans for U.S. students studying outside the United States

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can you go to a different school?
I took a look at the list of government approved schools, but they are all in different provinces. This wouldn't be a problem, but I'll be living with my girlfriend who already has a stable home that I'll be sharing with her, so unfortunately moving isn't really an option.

I was quite surprised that Australia as a whole only had 4 or 5 approved schools. One in Sydney, One is NSW, I believe on was in Perth, and one in Adelaide.

I'm just looking for some ideas about funding, and the possibility of maybe going through an Australian lender since my intention is to stay permanently.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I took a look at the list of government approved schools, but they are all in different provinces. This wouldn't be a problem, but I'll be living with my girlfriend who already has a stable home that I'll be sharing with her, so unfortunately moving isn't really an option.

I was quite surprised that Australia as a whole only had 4 or 5 approved schools. One in Sydney, One is NSW, I believe on was in Perth, and one in Adelaide.

I'm just looking for some ideas about funding, and the possibility of maybe going through an Australian lender since my intention is to stay permanently.
Ah ok. I hadn't researched the loans before, but thats good to know since we may be going over on a student visa next year if our PR doesn't come through in time.

I think finding a loan might be difficult. However with a girlfriend over there, would she be willing to co-sign a loan, or take one out on your behalf?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ah ok. I hadn't researched the loans before, but thats good to know since we may be going over on a student visa next year if our PR doesn't come through in time.

I think finding a loan might be difficult. However with a girlfriend over there, would she be willing to co-sign a loan, or take one out on your behalf?
her and had discussed the possibility of her taking out a loan, but I don't think we discussed having her cosign. I'm really not sure how I missed that before, lol.

I'll have a chat with her about it tonight, thanks :)

·
Registered
619 Posts
her and had discussed the possibility of her taking out a loan, but I don't think we discussed having her cosign. I'm really not sure how I missed that before, lol.

I'll have a chat with her about it tonight, thanks :)
of course, with not having any credit history, your name on the application would probably not count for much :D

Alternatively, you could always pop the big question too :D

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah, unfortunately we don't have enough physical history together to apply for one of the couples visas. We talked about that and decided we'd rather not have our relationship scrutinized by the government.

We've been "together" for about 9 months, and she vacationed here for 2 weeks and we decided to make it official. The Australian government requires about a year worth of contacts, emails, and phone records to "prove" a relationship. I'd like to go back to school, and am not too keen on waiting another year and a half to hold her again.

As far as my credit goes, my score was around 730, and sometime between when I last checked and when she vacationed here (in August) it's dropped to somewhere between 600-640.

·
Registered
619 Posts
yeah, unfortunately we don't have enough physical history together to apply for one of the couples visas. We talked about that and decided we'd rather not have our relationship scrutinized by the government.

We've been "together" for about 9 months, and she vacationed here for 2 weeks and we decided to make it official. The Australian government requires about a year worth of contacts, emails, and phone records to "prove" a relationship. I'd like to go back to school, and am not too keen on waiting another year and a half to hold her again.

As far as my credit goes, my score was around 730, and sometime between when I last checked and when she vacationed here (in August) it's dropped to somewhere between 600-640.
I understand how you feel. Im originally from the UK and married my US wife. I was desperate to be with her, and came over on a student visa. After a year in school, we got married. If you do get married one day, the government will scrutinize the relationship regardless, so be prepared for that to happen at some point. Anyway, getting some kind of visa makes sense so you can try and be together to test your relationship before you make any serious commitments.

Have you considered the 12 month working holiday visa? You wont be able to study, but can work for a year.

Also, if your credit score is low, can you find a co-signer here in the US? maybe parents?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Chisholm TAFE like all charge fees to international candidates, about AUD4500-5500 per semester/half year.

The city could have more economic options on CRICOS courses, and payment plans e.g. 10-12 weekly, cheapest I know of is AUD3750 per half year, and you understand that on an extendable student visa you would have part time work rights during school term, and full time during vacation.

But at moment there is a a huge rush on enrolments in city based private colleges, not sure why?

If Chisholm was convenient to where your girlfriend lives, does that mean Dandenong area, or on Dandenong trainline back into the city? The city and inner city has most options, and employment opportunities (limited express train Dandenong to city may 50 minutes?).

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Chisholm TAFE like all charge fees to international candidates, about AUD4500-5500 per semester/half year.

The city could have more economic options on CRICOS courses, and payment plans e.g. 10-12 weekly, cheapest I know of is AUD3750 per half year, and you understand that on an extendable student visa you would have part time work rights during school term, and full time during vacation.

But at moment there is a a huge rush on enrolments in city based private colleges, not sure why?

If Chisholm was convenient to where your girlfriend lives, does that mean Dandenong area, or on Dandenong trainline back into the city? The city and inner city has most options, and employment opportunities (limited express train Dandenong to city may 50 minutes?).

Hope this helps.
She lives in Narre Warren, so Dandenong is the next stop over from her.

I also wanted to post an update. I was able to secure the money to go. Now I'm just trying to get an idea for how long it might take for a student visa to go through.

·
Registered
619 Posts
She lives in Narre Warren, so Dandenong is the next stop over from her.

I also wanted to post an update. I was able to secure the money to go. Now I'm just trying to get an idea for how long it might take for a student visa to go through.
Congrats n getting the money!!

From LiveinAustralia.com

"If submitting an electronic application, then a decision usually occurs within 24 hours. If applying through your local Australian Embassy or Consular Office, then it may take several weeks."

·
Registered
3 Posts
First you need to get the CoE Confirmation of Enrolment from Chisholm. After transferring fees (and OSHC insurance), then Chisholm, if they have places, will issue CoE you use for visa, often needs to be followed up.

Of late, for some reason, related to recent migration changes, maybe many students hunkering down and extending studies just to remain in Oz physically, announcements coming out about courses full. Offer does not reserve a course place, but depends upon course demand, i.e. first in first served. Good luck!

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Hi CyricScott,

Mat mentioned about credit history not counting for much....what he was saying is that although you may have a good credit rating in the US, over here your credit rating will be a big fat 0.

Dolly

1 - 15 of 15 Posts