Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

I am looking to purchase a running business in dubai and settle here soon aswell, i am in and out of dubai a number of times a year on holiday and other reasons. I am a british citizen

I have came across business for sale online on dubizzle etc, and have been over to view the business and am looking to make a move for one.

I want to know what do i need to do in order to buy a business, what do i need to be aware of, do i need a licence or visa? And if i do where do i go?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Many Thanks
Haroon

·
Super Moderator
Originally from UK but lived in many countries
6,963 Posts
Hi,
You are moving into very difficult territory in what you are trying to achieve.
Pitfalls are numerous and there are a multitude of ways that you could easily be relieved of your money - with absolutely nothing to show for it!
An awful lot depends on what type of company you are investing in - onshore or free zone, who the existing owners are, who the existing sponsor is (for onshore company), whether the sponsor is active in the business or simply 51% owner, on paper etc. etc.
If I were you, I would be looking to start a new company from scratch - so that you can be more sure of both the legal status as well as shareholders and local sponsor selection.
Of course, that is less attractive than buying a portion of an existing profitable business - where someone has already gone through the growing pains.
Cheers
Steve

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's actually a couple of supermarkets if that narrows it down a bit
I have been sent the sales figures and accounts which seem pretty good

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hello Haroon,

I also have thought about doing some business in Dubai. I am originally from Dubai(born and raised) living in USA now. I've been meaning to come back permanently for a while now. Perhaps we can help each? reply back/message me if you're interested. look forward to hearing from you soon. thanks mate!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I recently had the oppurtunity to buy an existing company, especially after the owners told me its profit figures. However, after careful review of the company's financials and cashbooks, i came to realise all is not as it seems. Ask yourself, why would someone sell a profitable business?

·
Super Moderator
Originally from UK but lived in many countries
6,963 Posts
I recently had the oppurtunity to buy an existing company, especially after the owners told me its profit figures. However, after careful review of the company's financials and cashbooks, i came to realise all is not as it seems. Ask yourself, why would someone sell a profitable business?
Retirement, bereavement, relocation, starting another business in another field - there are many valid reasons that people sell good, going concerns.
As stated in my original answer - the issue is due diligence. This is relatively easy to do in the UK - but very hard to do properly here.
Best of luck
Steve

1 - 6 of 6 Posts