Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I have been in love with America from a very young age, usually visit once or twice a year and am now looking to move out there as im quite tired of Britain now!

I am currently attempting to read through the literature and forms involved in the process and I am very confused! any advice that can be given would be a great help! even if it simply pointing out a handy link, any advice is greatly appreciated!

Answers to potential openings questions:

Do you have grandparents who are/were US citizens?

Whilst I don't have grandparents who are US citizens, my grandfathers cousin is a US citizen. We are very close, I have spent the last few Christmas holidays with him and his family and he is more like an uncle to me. Could this help or is it purely based on the promixity of the bloodline?

Do you have an academic degree?

I have a BA Honours in English Literature & History

Are you a potential intern/trainee for an organization such as a hotel?

I have been working at a theme park for the last 2 years. I started working on rides and quickly made my way up to Sales & Marketing and currently hold a prominent position within the Sales & Marketing department. Would it be worth trying theme parks in the U.S. and see if they would be interested in some sort of exchange program? I don't really want to continue working in theme parks, my main interest is to work in museums or galleries but if it would help in the process I would be willing to do almost anything!

Again, any advice given will be greatly appreciated and thanks for your time!

·
Administrator
49,984 Posts
It looks like you've already found the list of questions leading to potential visa qualifications.

Unfortunately, no, cousins will do you no good in the visa process - it's only direct ascendents or descendents. (And FWIW, that route takes YEARS.)

Theme parks often hire young people for summer jobs and "internships" - but it's flunky work and usually the jobs only last 4 to 6 months tops. For the degree to help, you need some sort of "specialty" ideally something not easily found in the US job market - experience, training, something to distinguish you from the unemployed masses.

Even better would be to find a job where you are with an international company that might transfer you to the US after a few years of working for them. Disney is a possibility. I think Six Flags now has some European parks.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ah ok. i thought the descendents wasn't an option but thanks for clearing that up!

I figured an intership wouldn't really have a lasting effect so will take your advice on the speciality skills and international companies

Thanks for your help Bev!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts