Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I'm wondering how I would go about relocating to Australia for work? I'm a sheet metal worker tradesman (I do HVAC ducts, etc), and I'm at the journeyman level, having completed a 5 year apprenticeship with 9 years in the trade. Currently there is no work to be had here in the US; economy is totally tanked. I have been out of work for 8 months this year and 6 months last year. I'm ready to throw in the towel and relocate somewhere else, preferably Australia.

I don't have a lot of money to work with, so I was wondering if it's possible to get employer sponsorship for the visa fees, etc. I would like to bring my wife and daughter with. I'm looking at the Sydney or Perth areas, but open to others if the work is there.

Any help on pointing me in the right direction would be great. Would like to get the heck out of the US in 2010 :)

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Hi there,

Welcome to the forum.

Firstly have a look through the sticky threads at the top of the forum page. There's loads of info there to get you started. You'll find a link to DIAC which will give you all visa types etc.

Sheet metal worker is on the skills list Sheetmetal Worker (First Class) 4124-11 - Australian Skills Recognition Information - does this correspond with what you do?

To be honest, finding a company to sponsor you is very difficult to do - but not impossible. Have a look at the 175 Skilled Independent visa and see if you have enough points, it may be worth your while going down that route.

To save money you don't have to use an agent, you can do the whole process yourself.

Anyway, have a look at those stickies and then come back with any questions.

Dolly

1 - 2 of 2 Posts