Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I'm just new to this site and was looking for some advice and information. I'm a qualified plumber with 15 years experience. I was wandering if anyone on here could give me advice on the plumbing industry or knew anyone who has there own British building company. Thanks and look forward to your advice.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I fear your qualifications would not be recognised here, going by earlier posts on this subject
However, that hasn't stopped others continuing their trade here, but if you want to be legal......

·
Registered
17,566 Posts
Hi. I'm just new to this site and was looking for some advice and information. I'm a qualified plumber with 15 years experience. I was wandering if anyone on here could give me advice on the plumbing industry or knew anyone who has there own British building company. Thanks and look forward to your advice.
You may be qualified in UK but are you qualified in Spain? Jobs in Spain are like gold-dust especially if you are not fluent in Spanish. Beware of "British Builders" or tradesmen many of whom had only ever done a bit of DiY before getting off the plane. That is not to say that there are not some good ones, who are also honest and competent, but they tend to be few and far between. Most importantly, avoid getting into partnership with one unless you are 110% certain of the person you are involved with, because you may find that you are left with all the liabilities while the profits have disappeared with your one time "partner."

I'm sorry if the above sounds negative, but it is best that you be aware before taking any big steps.

With regard to moving to Spain, you will be required, within 90 days of your arrival to register on the 'foreigners register' and to do that you will need to show a regular income of at least 600€ going into a Spanish bank account and proof of health-care coverage which, if you are under state pensionable age, will have to be private health-care insurance.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Steven have you thought about commuting? If you work for 6 months in the UK you'll be able to live very well in some parts of Spain for the other half of the year. And you'll earn more. And of course if you can drag yourself away from the restful/cultural/beach/or whatever spanish life you can see for yourself how tough working (or in the case of many looking for work) can be.

As extranjero says there is the qualification issue, but also the very low wages (especially take home pay) and loss of other benefits. And working 6 months in the UK is very tax efficient as I know ;)

·
Registered
17,566 Posts
Steven have you thought about commuting? If you work for 6 months in the UK you'll be able to live very well in some parts of Spain for the other half of the year. And you'll earn more. And of course if you can drag yourself away from the restful/cultural/beach/or whatever spanish life you can see for yourself how tough working (or in the case of many looking for work) can be.

As extranjero says there is the qualification issue, but also the very low wages (especially take home pay) and loss of other benefits. And working 6 months in the UK is very tax efficient as I know ;)
He would still have to qualify as a resident (650€ + healthcare) even if not working in Spain.

·
Registered
958 Posts
You haven't said which part of Spain.I know down here on the CDS even Spanish fontaneros are struggling to find work.Best thing you could do is pick the area where you want to go to,have a months holiday and look around and then it will give you a true picture of how things are which sometimes forums can't do.There are still a few jobbing Brit builders over here who are working but they have been here for many years and built a trust and reputation.Sorry to say the days of jumping on a plane with a suitcase full of building tools have long since gone.Hope you find what you are looking for.Regards.SB.

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
He would still have to qualify as a resident (650€ + healthcare) even if not working in Spain.
No he doesn't actually have to qualify, just apply.
Failing to meet the criteria to register as a resident in no way bars you from living here. It cannot, EU rules specifically state that .

·
Registered
796 Posts
Hola

There are areas in Spain that need English plumbers; the big but is that you have to get yourself known by all and sundry while building up your reputation and client base and the client base must be big enough to support your needs of working 40 hours a week.

Davexf

·
Registered
22,341 Posts
Many British immigrants prefer to use Spanish plumbers, electricians etc. We do as do all our British friends and acquaintances.

·
Banned
97 Posts
Many British immigrants prefer to use Spanish plumbers, electricians etc. We do as do all our British friends and acquaintances.
immigrant!, immigrant!!, I will have you know that I am a proud English expat,,,,,,,,immigrant!!!,,,,,,,the bloody barefaced cheek of the woman, got to go as I have just started with a bout of 'the vapours',,,,,immigrant tsk.

·
Registered
6,012 Posts
Hola

There are areas in Spain that need English plumbers; the big but is that you have to get yourself known by all and sundry while building up your reputation and client base and the client base must be big enough to support your needs of working 40 hours a week.

Davexf
... but to do serious plumbing work, you have to be qualified in Spain. For example, to issue a boletin, an English plumber will have to call upon the services of a Spanish one - and they may not be too chuffed at loosing the work in the first place.

I wonder how easy it is for a UK plumber to get the necessary qualifications in Spain (ISTR that it's just as hard as it is for electricians).

Sure, a UK plumber can do work for a UK IMMIGRANT but will they be complying with all the Spanish regulations?

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
It also has to be mentioned that the plumbing in Spain is totally different to the plumbing in the UK and you'd need to practice, learn and understand how it works and the regulations first - not to mention the language

Jo xxx

·
Registered
558 Posts
Hi Steven, Welcome to the Forum. Let's say you are qualified to work in Spain and you are fluent in Spanish as a starting point.

Spain needs more plumbers (especially on the Costas) like it needs another Civil War. The recession in Spain continues, little or nothing is being done about unemployment and diy has never been so popular. These situations will not become more favourable to you for many years to come.

I hope you enjoy your holidays in Spain, but do yourself a favour, don't even think of working as a plumber there.

·
Registered
430 Posts
It also has to be mentioned that the plumbing in Spain is totally different to the plumbing in the UK and you'd need to practice, learn and understand how it works and the regulations first - not to mention the language

Jo xxx
Hi jo

What part is totally different ?

Tony:)

·
Registered
17,566 Posts
Hi jo

What part is totally different ?

Tony:)
I don't know what JoJo is referring to but there is no metal pipework in our house and everything is reinforced plastic tubing that runs through the walls. Most taps are mixers and our shower controls are all thermostatic. Not all sanitary fittings have 'P' or 'S' traps, often just a straight flow to a combined trap in the floor.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Hola

To any qualified plumber, the changes are minimal. To most plumbers here the biggest difference is dealing with wells, pumps and controllers rather than pipework

Davexf

·
Registered
6,012 Posts
I don't know what JoJo is referring to but there is no metal pipework in our house and everything is reinforced plastic tubing that runs through the walls. Most taps are mixers and our shower controls are all thermostatic. Not all sanitary fittings have 'P' or 'S' traps, often just a straight flow to a combined trap in the floor.
The biggest difference I've found is that there are simple NO traps anywhere - not even in the floor. Consequently, horrible smells when the wind is in the wrong direction.

There are large square 'pits' into which everything flows before going on to the septic tank. Now in England, this would be a manhole thus providing access to rod as and when necessary. Here they simply concrete over the top - no rodding points anywhere.

The cut-off taps are often very sensibly located in the bathroom or kitchen (in my experience).

Any traps in newer properties often evaporate so check these if there are smells before calling out a plumber.

The type of plastic that @Baldilocks mentions is often jointed by expanding the pipe so that it simply tightens onto the fitting (no tape, no jointing compound, no push-fit and no screw joints to go wrong) - these fittings are guaranteed for life!

I would say, on the whole, plumbing in Spain is not that different.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.