Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone

I've been thinking about Australia for awhile now and have really only recently started doing the homework required for this. I stumbled across this site and felt it was a good place to start.

Little about me, I'm 26, have a college degree currently and a Financial Analyst making about 70k USD, have very little debt and no major commitments here in the states. I've always wanted to live somewhere new, but not completely foreign with a new language.

Anyways, where to begin.. Are there any in the finance/accounting field that can say what the job outlook is out there? What cities would be more suited toward that career? I've read 6 months without a job salary is what I would want to have on hand which I estimated to be around 12-13k? What type of visa would I be looking at and how difficult are they to obtain? I realize these are all very broad questions and show my lack of knowledge on this but I have to start somewhere.

Thank you for your time

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Others will likely be able to give more specific information about visas and the accounting field, but I may be able to help you get started.

Start with the DIBP website and look at the SOL and CSOL (the two occupation lists for visa eligibility). If your occupation is on the SOL, the you can focus on the 189 (independent) visa. If it's on the CSOL then you can focus on the 190 (state sponsored) or 489 (regional state sponsored) visa. Each list will tell you who the assessment authority is as you need to get a positive skills assessment that you are suitably qualified for the occupation you nominate. Check the assessment authority website for information about getting the skills assessment.

For one of these visas, you need to be able to claim at least 60 points (see the Points Test tab of the visa page) under age, education, experience, English, etc. Your skills assessment will help you confirm the experience and education points, age is easy to work out. You don't need to prove English skills if you have a US passport, but if you want/need the points towards a visa then you need to take one of the approved English tests.

A visa is about $3800AUD plus costs for the skills assessment, health check, English test (if needed), state/FBI checks, etc. If you start scrolling through threads related to Accountants, 189, 190 or 489 visas, you'll get more info.

In general, the 189 is considered the "best" visa since you don't need to worry about which state is sponsoring your occupation or additional requirements the state may put in place.

If you need the extra 5 points from state sponsorship for a 190 visa, this is the second best visa but you need to pass their additional criteria and wait for them to invite you. You're also supposed to live/work in their state for 2 years after you move.

A 489 visa gives you 10 points towards migration but it's a transitional visa (not permanent) so you MUST live in a regional area for 2 years and work 1 year full-time within the regional area before you can then apply for an 887 visa (permanent).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts