Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a french citizen who has been living in the USA for over 10 years. I have gained american citizenship since.
I now want to go back to France with my family but have not been able to find a job.

I am a certified interior designer here in the US. I have been talking to all recruiting companies in my field with no result. I even flew to Paris last September for interviews. No results!

I'm about to go again for one month to find something. Any suggestions where I should be looking?

Are there any american firms in France hiring?

I'm very frustrated to not be able to find work in my home country. Help!

·
Administrator
48,498 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum.

Right now is a pretty tough time to be looking for a new job - whether here, there or anywhere. Add to it, the differences in the job and general markets between the US and France and you could be looking at a rather long job search.

Have you ever worked in France in your current field? I know some employers are hesitant to take on staff raised in "American ways." You might also try and find a way to "translate" your certification into the closest French equivalent, as many French employers simply don't know (or understand) foreign qualifications. The other avenue is to try and build up your French contacts in the industry, as most jobs here are found based on personal relations and recommendations.

I've worked with a French woman in her late 30's who has never held a CDI in the nine years since she graduated with a degree in Marketing. She has held a series of CDDs (short term jobs) but with gaps between them. It seems to be the way things work here, and "American job hunting ways" tend to come off as "arrogant" and "pushy" which doesn't help much at all.

Hate to be so gloomy, but you need to count on your job search taking some significant time. I spent a year and a half trying to find a job in Europe from the US, though I didn't have the advantage of EU nationality at the time. You probably need to also be very clear with potential employers what your expectations are regarding such things as relocation expenses, because if they just assume you will want them to pay for your move back, they'll simply ignore your application. But it may just be a matter of not many employers hiring right now.
Cheers,
Bev

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.