Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's my mother's birthday soon and that's what she wants :D
Does anyone know where I could buy it and for how much? Can you order it on-line?

Thx

·
Administrator
49,874 Posts
I suspect you're about going to have to order something like this online. Google "wooden tortilla press" and see what you get. Amazon carries a pretty decent range of kitchen items - but I'd try them in the UK or US rather than the French branch.

One of the US food shops in Paris (Thanksgiving or The Real McCoy) might be able to order something for you or give you the address of a specialty kitchen supply house. You could also check with one of the Mexican or Tex-Mex restaurants in Paris, though I don't think any of them make their own tortillas.

Chances are, you will have to order from the US.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bev, I did try google first and got nothing useful. I just checked Amazon. The US does not ship the press to France, I've had similar problem with anything I tried to get shipped from US to Paris (maybe I'm doing something wrong?). The Greman site only has metal or alluminium presses, but my mother wants a wooden one. I'll check out the UK site but ...

·
Administrator
49,874 Posts
Bev, I did try google first and got nothing useful. I just checked Amazon. The US does not ship the press to France, I've had similar problem with anything I tried to get shipped from US to Paris (maybe I'm doing something wrong?). The Greman site only has metal or alluminium presses, but my mother wants a wooden one. I'll check out the UK site but ...
No, I doubt you're doing anything wrong. The big US kitchen ware sites, like Williams Sonoma, often won't ship outside the US other than to military overseas addresses - and as I found out the hard way, they won't take your order with a credit card that has a foreign billing address. I did find a YouTube video on how to make your own.

Problem being that the French aren't too big on Mexican food (not the authentic kind, anyhow) so it's highly unlikely you're going to find a supplier in Paris. Ask the folks at Thanksgiving if they know where to get such things. They're generally quite helpful and might have some ideas. Thanksgiving, the source for American grocery products and down-home Louisiana cooking in Paris
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
594 Posts
Just remembered that behind Les Halles in Paris there is a street with abundant kitchen appliances and cooking aid shops. A delight for cooks and non-cooks. You can also find your food supplies (in bulk) as it is a heritage of the old central food market of Paris which was les Halles. That is where you can buy a kilo of foie gras for less than 25 euros, and smoked salmon for 50 guests.

The street is rue Montmartre of course. If you do not find a press there, it might be very unlucky but you will still enjoy the visit and maybe have time to pray fro more inspiration at Eglise St Eustache.

my research shows these results
- http://www.casamex.fr/presse-tortilla-prensa-kua.html : for 30 euros + 7 euros shipping
- laminoirs or pasta systems can serve the same purpose (flattening a ball of dow)
- http://www.dos-mexicanas.com/mag/fr/product-139206.htm (in metal for 30 euros)

let us know.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.