Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

41 - 60 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Mikey That is what we call a soap popper in the states.... Filipino Ones are more annoying though I have no idea whats going on and all they do is cry, cheat, and get revenge.

Funny thing was in manila it was all about big time will time,, okay watching it for a couple times,, got so tired of it every night it was all about him.. In the province it is all about the drama my wife is hooked on them like my grandma was with days of our lives.. during the day I am lucky if i get news channel in because she is watching some BDO movie from the 80's diffrent people but, always same plot.. :drama:

does make great point where are all those nice looking places they show? I know its all movie sets but, i have never seen anything that remotely nice anywhere even in the most up-scaled parts of the country i have seen doesnt hold a candle to how they live..

And the commercials are worse please point me to a house that nice with all those modern electrics they have??????

·
Registered
1 Posts
Pldt

Nothing is reliable in the phils actually.
I have tried 4 different ISPs here.
But if you need to subscribe one, go for PLDT.
It's the most stable connection here.

·
3,232 Posts
Internet, many factors

Nothing is reliable in the phils actually.
I have tried 4 different ISPs here.
But if you need to subscribe one, go for PLDT.
It's the most stable connection here.
Many factors can determine what's best for the area you live in, for me it's the Globe tower and only 100 yds away, I live in a remote area, type of internet connection, if it's a thumb drive type of plug in's are very sluggish as compared to a cable or broadband hook up.

Another factor could also be who your communicating with.... mainly the US or the in-laws in the Philippines and what plan is used by the family here.

I have had Globe for 5 years and the Broadband tower was changed twice, other than that due to maintenance I have lost only 3 days of internet service the signal has been very good.

·
Registered
34 Posts
if you do opt for PLDT DSL just a little tip, leave the DSL modem on 24/7 as that way you will be more or less able to keep a connection running ( this comes from a PLDT engineer ) who has his own little internet shop just up the road !! and yes it does work !! since he told me my internet has been very stable. another tip every day do a speedtest ( for some reason it seems to keep the speed up as well )
something to do with PLDT computer system !

·
Registered
774 Posts
PLDT FIBER OPTIC IF AVAILABLE IN YOUR AREA never a problem always fast I have cctv works great

·
3,232 Posts
New Telcom Provider Now

Does anyone have any updates to this thread? It is now May 2015 and I am interested in the fastest internet for Baguio City area?
I don't live in Baguio but since my last posting I had dump Globe WiFi :mad: and now use PLDT DSL, it's been good to me, been one year. :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
I actually have not move to PI yet - been 11 years in Thailand - and that's enough! That Baguio weather is a magnet for me! Sounds a lot like San Jose, Costa Rica, where I lived 5 years prior to Thailand. Both high altitude.

Logically, what I need is to get a map - if one exists - of the areas of Baguio where fiber optic and/or DSL or good cable TV/Internet is available. I would THEN seek to rent a condo, etc in that area.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to obtain those areas?

This is REALLY a great forum, and it is nice to see that members are very helpful to each other!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Many factors can determine what's best for the area you live in, for me it's the Globe tower and only 100 yds away, I live in a remote area, type of internet connection, if it's a thumb drive type of plug in's are very sluggish as compared to a cable or broadband hook up.

Another factor could also be who your communicating with.... mainly the US or the in-laws in the Philippines and what plan is used by the family here.

I have had Globe for 5 years and the Broadband tower was changed twice, other than that due to maintenance I have lost only 3 days of internet service the signal has been very good.
We use globe and have no problems. there tower can be seen from our patio. So except during the brownouts we have a good connection.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Rogdas...THANKS for your input! Have you measured your speed with Globe? MBPS? If you just send emails, 3 or 4 will work. But I use the internet for my income and regularly transfer large files and I also like to watch streaming video and TV. I have 15 MBPS here in Thailand and it works OK. Do you have DSL?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Rogdas...THANKS for your input! Have you measured your speed with Globe? MBPS? If you just send emails, 3 or 4 will work. But I use the internet for my income and regularly transfer large files and I also like to watch streaming video and TV. I have 15 MBPS here in Thailand and it works OK. Do you have DSL?
have not measured the speed. I have used it to watch videos on you tube and surf around the internet when where there. my wife talks regularly with her family on Skype always seems to have pretty good connection.
don't know about transfering large files have never had the need.
we have had at least 2 ipads 3 phones and a lap top all picking up good wifi signal at the same time.

·
Registered
14 Posts
It is easy to check your download and upload speeds. To get a valid reading, I usually check 3-4 times over a 2 hour or so period. This can be used anywhere in the world.

speedtest.net

·
Registered
145 Posts
It is easy to check your download and upload speeds. To get a valid reading, I usually check 3-4 times over a 2 hour or so period. This can be used anywhere in the world.

speedtest.net
thanks I will see if my wife sister will check it, or I will check it when I'm there in oct. I will let you know when I find out.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Internet Providers

I've been in Phil eight years and lived in Batangas, Cavite, Laguna and Bohol. I have had a variety of internet services. I have had DSL (over the air with a rectangular antenna), the stick that plugs into the usb port and wired to the computer. Without question, using a wired system is much better. The others can work depending on your proximity to the tower that sends the signal. I have excellent service with PLDT (Philippine Long Distant Telephone). Another small consideration is where and how can you pay for this and how much upfront money does it take to get rolling. Everything really depends on where you live and what is available there, you might not have many choices. You should get service for about P1000 monthly ($22.48 at today's exchange rate).:D

·
Registered
14 Posts
THANKS for your input! I've lived in Thailand now for 11 years -- and I thought it was strange here! But the internet in PI is all over the board. One guy told me he has DSL. He thought it was OK. I asked him to CHECK THE SPEED at: speedtest.net It came back 1-2 MBPS which is a total joke! Anything less than 5 is almost worthless to me and to anyone who is using the internet for business. I have 15 here and it costs about $20 per month and is extremely reliable.

But I have heard there are parts of Baguio where fiber optic is available -- that should be about 20 - and totally reliable. I just have to find out where those areas are, and then look for an apt there.

<Snip>

·
3,232 Posts
Your gonna pay for Internet here

THANKS for your input! I've lived in Thailand now for 11 years -- and I thought it was strange here! But the internet in PI is all over the board. One guy told me he has DSL. He thought it was OK. I asked him to CHECK THE SPEED at: speedtest.net It came back 1-2 MBPS which is a total joke! Anything less than 5 is almost worthless to me and to anyone who is using the internet for business. I have 15 here and it costs about $20 per month and is extremely reliable.

But I have heard there are parts of Baguio where fiber optic is available -- that should be about 20 - and totally reliable. I just have to find out where those areas are, and then look for an apt there.

Check your speed and let me know what you find out.
Here's an idea of costs with PLDT and speeds, looks like the bundled plans aren't to bad, the total cost is more than advertised because of the Land Line.
https://shop.pldthome.com/?compare=337

·
Registered
6,008 Posts

<Snip>
The problem with your plan is that IF and that is a big if, you find an area in Baguio with good, solid, and fast internet today; it is quite likely to not be that way in a week or two down the road.
You need to understand that the ONLY thing that is dependable or reliable in the Philippines is that NOTHING is dependable or
reliable in the Philippines---Period. To expect otherwise is folly.
Internet providers here will promise you the moon. But once the contract for service is signed and it has been installed, you are practically on your own. Customer service and repair is all but non-existent. That is just the way it is in the Philippines and will likely not change.

Jet Lag

Reactions: M.C.A.

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
PH Internet 2nd slowest in Asia

The problem with your plan is that IF and that is a big if, you find an area in Baguio with good, solid, and fast internet today; it is quite likely to not be that way in a week or two down the road.
You need to understand that the ONLY thing that is dependable or reliable in the Philippines is that NOTHING is dependable or
reliable in the Philippines---Period. To expect otherwise is folly.
Internet providers here will promise you the moon. But once the contract for service is signed and it has been installed, you are practically on your own. Customer service and repair is all but non-existent. That is just the way it is in the Philippines and will likely not change.

Jet Lag
The title and link here is from a current article in the Philippine Daily Inquirer News and just about says it all.

Read The Story Here
(source INQ News)

Reactions: M.C.A. and EuroBob
41 - 60 of 78 Posts