Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

21 - 40 of 78 Posts

·
3,242 Posts
cable

I think in our area its Cignal cable or satellite dish, I too get wrapped up in the news, I guess in the evening's sometimes I miss the Tonight show or other talk shows and Fox news, history, discovery channel.

Previous cable experience wasn't so good, unsure what company she had used but they never came out to repair problems and my wifes other complaint was that they play the same movies over and over.

I could improve the signal by placing the antenna in a different area around the house and moving it higher by 15 feet, for some reason she's stubborn and doesn't want to do this now, we have HD TV's also I wonder if they require a different "air" antenna.

·
Registered
83 Posts
lol at the local TV, i have to put up with that too, she loves all those series.

Have you noticed that they kind of live in fantasy land, like all of those series they all have nice cars and live in nice houses with pools. It just seems so fake to me. Additionally, you cannot watch more than five minutes of any show where there is no crying, i mean jeez always waterworks.

They always involve a cheating husband, a girl who has been ugly but suddenly becomes beautiful...i just cannot watch them anymore.

Cable is okay but there is still not too much for us foreigners. The movie channels always replay the same movies, so you are left with a choice of "top ten most crazy crashes etc" on AXN, Caeser The dog whisperer or gold digging on the discovery channel.

I dont really watch TV to be honest.

·
Registered
919 Posts
I think of it as us watching Dallas or Dynasty. That's one downside of the great US internet speed, all that stuff can be watched here too lol. But I'm happy she can get a taste of home when she wants to.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I have a friend that is a retired engineer who maintains all the larger hotels IT systems. I asked him what the best internet connection is. He said it depends! If you use smart or globe wireless then the distance from the antenna is very important. DSL is the distance from the Central office. Cable is the load (number of users). These guidelines are the same even if in the USA. Cable does have the potential of being the best but since we are in the Philippines we now have another issue that is how well it maintained. Sloppy cable work can make a big different. Ask your neighbors, either one could be the best for where you live.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a friend that is a retired engineer who maintains all the larger hotels IT systems. I asked him what the best internet connection is. He said it depends! If you use smart or globe wireless then the distance from the antenna is very important. DSL is the distance from the Central office. Cable is the load (number of users). These guidelines are the same even if in the USA. Cable does have the potential of being the best but since we are in the Philippines we now have another issue that is how well it maintained. Sloppy cable work can make a big different. Ask your neighbors, either one could be the best for where you live.
Very true! In the case of sky cable, I've personally witnessed how they run high quality cable lines from the pole to your house. The cable at the pole may be weak however. They had to restring my entire street to get me internet but they did it!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Dont know if you are still looking,, but due to the place we moved in the deep of the province noone carries network that far out,, we can still use globe on our phone but, very slow.. After several weeks of searching I am going to get,, AZ Communications Network, Inc,, Dont know if they are any good and its satellite?? We will give it a go..

Would be nice to see that cignal carry satellite that would be good,, my buddy not from philippines seen a job position open for a technical job for dishnet position for manila,, not one for rumors but maybe we will soon get that???? would be nice..

·
Registered
22 Posts
I use Globe also, I called their toll-free number, unsure it this is the same call center anyway the rep told me to get someone to fix my broadband unit, I told him to send their team out and disconnect me, I called back on the regular (non-free line) it seemed like they knew it was me and got me help, it turned out I needed another broadband unit and they said they would show up Monday but they showed up two hours later and this was on a Sunday and the their office is over an 1 hr away
OOOOHHH, they are the worst customer service any where in the world,, I have battled forever for them to fix the signal where we live,, long story short,, i had to go to manila so i decided to go visit corporate,, told them i would even pay for the line to be carried out to us, and could use our land for tower no problems all i asked was that i get free net and 20% commission on every additional signal they set up.. they didnt budge wanted me to set up line / tower still use my place and then i still had to pay for service they wouldnt even contact the ceo for this to approve..

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
OOOOHHH, they are the worst customer service any where in the world,, I have battled forever for them to fix the signal where we live,, long story short,, i had to go to manila so i decided to go visit corporate,, told them i would even pay for the line to be carried out to us, and could use our land for tower no problems all i asked was that i get free net and 20% commission on every additional signal they set up.. they didnt budge wanted me to set up line / tower still use my place and then i still had to pay for service they wouldnt even contact the ceo for this to approve..
That's a good one although not surprising. Have you ever though of using a satellite internet system that is based outside of the Philippines for service? Before ownership changed, the ultra-light flying club here used satellite internet. Even their billing was outside the country. Always on, good speed and signal and unless power went out it worked 100% of the time. They eventually put in a diesel generator so even with weather or repair activity on the public power system it worked 24/7..

·
Registered
22 Posts
That's a good one although not surprising. Have you ever though of using a satellite internet system that is based outside of the Philippines for service? Before ownership changed, the ultra-light flying club here used satellite internet. Even their billing was outside the country. Always on, good speed and signal and unless power went out it worked 100% of the time. They eventually put in a diesel generator so even with weather or repair activity on the public power system it worked 24/7..
Yeah I actually am,, I am looking at a dish company AZ Communications Network, inc. Its not a philippine company but, they do have a office in manila..

On another post I mentioned (Dont know if they will) but, my buddy sent me a deal where dish network was looking for a tech job for a position in manila?? So dont know if they are going to or not but, even if they did wonder if all american channels plus internet??? (But only speculation at this point) but, their was a job posting for it..

·
Registered
331 Posts
Very true! In the case of sky cable, I've personally witnessed how they run high quality cable lines from the pole to your house. The cable at the pole may be weak however. They had to restring my entire street to get me internet but they did it!
I looked into sky cable when I built my house here (I had prior poor experience with Globeline's dsl - long fistance to central switch and smart bro - weak signal due to distance from cell tower) but no one else had sky cable in my subd then and the cable company wanted me to foot the bill to run a connection all the way in to my house! No way. I've been using PLDT's dsl since and its been ok for the most part (lost dsl and phone for a few days when persons unknown stole a section of phone cable outside of the subdivision).

·
Registered
331 Posts
Dont know if you are still looking,, but due to the place we moved in the deep of the province noone carries network that far out,, we can still use globe on our phone but, very slow.. After several weeks of searching I am going to get,, AZ Communications Network, Inc,, Dont know if they are any good and its satellite?? We will give it a go..

Would be nice to see that cignal carry satellite that would be good,, my buddy not from philippines seen a job position open for a technical job for dishnet position for manila,, not one for rumors but maybe we will soon get that???? would be nice..
Sattelite Internet has its own issues. Your signal is affected by the same weather conditions that affect your tv service.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Sattelite Internet has its own issues. Your signal is affected by the same weather conditions that affect your tv service.
True,, I havnt got with them yet been stuck in the states dealing with a bunch of funerals and weddings.. but, everyone is talking about sky so,, emailed them a couple days ago to see if they will provide service where we live?? they probably will if i fork out the cost of running the cable,, but, at this point i am just thinking of doing it.. but, will see either way..

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Mikey That is what we call a soap popper in the states.... Filipino Ones are more annoying though I have no idea whats going on and all they do is cry, cheat, and get revenge.

lol at the local TV, i have to put up with that too, she
loves all those series.

Have you noticed that they kind of live in fantasy land, like all of those series they all have nice cars and live in nice houses with pools. It just seems so fake to me. Additionally, you cannot watch more than five minutes of any show where there is no crying, i mean jeez always waterworks.

They always involve a cheating husband, a girl who has been ugly but suddenly becomes beautiful...i just cannot watch them anymore.

Cable is okay but there is still not too much for us foreigners. The movie channels always replay the same movies, so you are left with a choice of "top ten most crazy crashes etc" on AXN, Caeser The dog whisperer or gold digging on the discovery channel.

I dont really watch TV to be honest.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Globe is pulling cable 15 miles north of me on the Natl Hwy in E. Samar so hoping next trip to have something reliable in the house instead of sweating it out with 100 kids in an internet cafe like I am now, they need a VIP area lol

·
Registered
83 Posts
the internet in the Philippines is the most slow in asia.
I dont know about the slowest anymore as they have fibre optic now which can be as much as 100mb in speed, will cost you 20,000 pesos a month mind you.

Internet is so expensive here to back home, i pay double what i paid back home for half the speed i was getting there.

·
3,242 Posts
I get what I pay for with my Globe broadband 1G for 1000 peso's it's actually better than my last connection in the states and about the same price, I'm about a footballs length from the tower.

·
Registered
83 Posts
And yep, my husbands lover is the one right now and the one that is on directly before it about an ugly girl who is now beautiful.

Before that it was the Marian Rivera (she annoys the hell out of me) one where her hubby cheated on her with a psycho woman who thought she had killed her, only for her to come back, have plastic surgery and inflict a long and drawn out revenge.

Cannot believe i pay 1,300 a month for the sky gold package and all i get is the F1 racing, other random sports and storage wars out of it.

·
3,242 Posts
Internet packages

I thought about internet packages unsure that I have that option in my area, lol... I can't stand local drama here at all it's agony on my brain and the stories have similar outcomes, plotting, planning, jealousy, murder.

21 - 40 of 78 Posts