Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I've recently moved to Japan to get married to my girlfriend, who lives here in Saga. I've been here for about two months now, and very slowly adjusting to living life here. The change has been a lot more difficult than I would have ever imagined. Her family and friends treat me very well, but I miss Canada, my mom, my friends, and all the familiarity of home. I've never been away from Vancouver for more than two months in my 34 years of living there, so this is definitely a struggle to not have people around that I can talk to. My Japanese is at a beginner level and I'm learning through using Rosetta Stone and just trying to talk to people randomly at stores or at restaurants. I thought I would be able to survive socially by just having my girlfriend and her family but I feel lonely not having my friends around to talk to. I crave human contact with others who are going through the same feelings and need to have friends who I can speak to. Someone suggested for me to start looking into Gaijin socials within my city or on expat websites like this one. I was just wondering if there are any other people out there who are experiencing these types of feelings and would like to help a fellow person out. I live in a more remote part of Japan and there are very few english speakers here. I know I will struggle for awhile before I adjust but was hoping there are others like myself who need a friend. i would appreciate any sort of advice or words of wisdom from anyone willing to reach out. Thank you for reading this.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you larabell. I do have an email address and Skype on a daily basis. I purchased a Skype to landline and mobile phones unlimited to Canada which has been extremely useful. I thought that would be enough to be able to talk to friends and family everyday, but I find I'm still lonely getting used to the change here in Japan. I'm a very talkative person by nature, so it's really difficult to always remain quiet and observe. I knew that would happen, so no surprise, and I know once I learn how to speak Japanese things will improve socially for me.

Thank you for the suggestion about going to a regular place at the same time every week. I will try to find a place close to home that I can go to. There are lots of bars downtown so there should be lots of opportunities. i will do everything I can to meet people. It is something I've always never had to worry about, so its just the shock of so many life changes happening at the same time. I'm sure things will turn around for me, just have to remain positive and patient. And yes, I will reach out here in the future when I need more support. Thank you once again for your response.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts