Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

My husband and I just received our visas to move to France!! We're so excited to be able to start this new adventure. We'll be moving to Toulouse in late November/early December. My husband is on a passeport talent visa and will be teaching dance (tap and jazz) and working with the tap dance company Tapage in Toulouse. I worked in marketing/event planning for small businesses for 8 years and switched to working as a cheesemonger in a cheese & wine shop for the last year (needless to say, we both love French cheese and wine).

We're in our early/mid 30s and have been married for 11 years. We're getting a short-term rental for a month or so while we look for an apartment somewhere within the city. We've lived in the city of Chicago for 11 years (no car), so appreciate a more urban environment vs. living in one of the surrounding towns.

Our French is basic (1 year in college for each of us, plus lots of independent practice since then), but we'll be enrolling in intensive courses at the Alliance Francaise for the first month or so that we are here.

If you live in Toulouse or know friends who do, I'd love to hear from you. We'll need some friends and supporters here as we try to figure everything out.

I'm a researcher at heart (he's a little more seat-of-the-pants), so I have soooo many questions for people who live in Toulouse (what's the best cell/internet service? best option for finding apartments? best neighborhood that's cheap but has good public transport access to the rest of the city? best thrift stores? and I could keep going!).

Anyway, I'd love to meet you on the forums and then maybe in real life once we make the move! Merci et à bientôt!

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
(not in Toulouse, though I visited there once...but ha, I love that you went from marketing/event planning to cheese-mongering. Cheese mongering sounds WAY better. I was in the PR/Marketing world for eight years.....not my cup of tea...)

·
Administrator
53,184 Posts
You may want to take a look into something like the AVF in Toulouse: Toulouse - AVF - Accueil des Villes Françaises

I see they do have a French for foreigners group - probably not lessons but rather a "coffee" where you can practice what you know in a "protected" atmosphere. And they do run an English language activity - volunteering to help with that can be a great way of getting to know folks who speak English and may very well be interested in doing language exchanges with you (over lunch, dinner or a glass of wine and a bit of cheese).
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
3 Posts
32yrs old, from Toulouse

Hi everyone,

My husband and I just received our visas to move to France!! We're so excited to be able to start this new adventure. We'll be moving to Toulouse in late November/early December. My husband is on a passeport talent visa and will be teaching dance (tap and jazz) and working with the tap dance company Tapage in Toulouse. I worked in marketing/event planning for small businesses for 8 years and switched to working as a cheesemonger in a cheese & wine shop for the last year (needless to say, we both love French cheese and wine).

We're in our early/mid 30s and have been married for 11 years. We're getting a short-term rental for a month or so while we look for an apartment somewhere within the city. We've lived in the city of Chicago for 11 years (no car), so appreciate a more urban environment vs. living in one of the surrounding towns.

Our French is basic (1 year in college for each of us, plus lots of independent practice since then), but we'll be enrolling in intensive courses at the Alliance Francaise for the first month or so that we are here.

If you live in Toulouse or know friends who do, I'd love to hear from you. We'll need some friends and supporters here as we try to figure everything out.

I'm a researcher at heart (he's a little more seat-of-the-pants), so I have soooo many questions for people who live in Toulouse (what's the best cell/internet service? best option for finding apartments? best neighborhood that's cheap but has good public transport access to the rest of the city? best thrift stores? and I could keep going!).

Anyway, I'd love to meet you on the forums and then maybe in real life once we make the move! Merci et à bientôt!
Hello !

I registered just to be able to answer you :)
I am currently living in Toulouse with my husband who is Iranian/Canadian (english speaker).
It's been a bit more than 5 years that we live here (quartier 7 deniers). We were living in Montreal, QC before, where we met but I am french, I was living in Paris until 2008.
I am 32, working in IT, dreaming about being a photographer one day, he is 39, project manager in engineering. We have a little boy, 15 months old :)
Don't hesitate if you have any question !!

Quickly:
- what's the best cell: B&You is what we have since 2012 : no contract and no pblems with them
- internet service: Free / Orange... we went with Orange since they offered the fiber in our building

- best option for finding apartments : leboncoin / seloger

- best neighborhood that's cheap but has good public transport access to the rest of the city: not an easy question ! depends on your budget... Above 750€ / month, try Compans-Cafarelli, Amidonniers, ... the more you get closer to Jeanne d'Arc, Jean Jaures, the more expensive it will be.

- best thrift stores: you will have a lot downtown !! I don't remember their names though...

Camille

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.