Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will keep this brief so as not to bore you all :) ,first and foremost "Hi to everyone"

Currently living in the UK with my partner and we are considering moving to mainland Southern Spain with in the next 6-12 months.

I work overseas mainly in Asia and rotate on a 35/35 day contract but the kids have grown up now so looking to relocate, I will continue working in my present job but my partner currently does dog grooming here in the UK so would most likely set that up a as a business to keep herself busy .

We will be looking to rent a property first for 6-12 months to ensure we like it so any tips/recommendations on estate agents /pit falls and possible areas would be gratefully received .

Any other info you good people can give will be gratefully received ,thanks in advance

·
Registered
15,741 Posts
Hi and welcome,

What sort of things are important for you when choosing a location? Proximity to international airport, big English-speaking community, inland or coastal, that sort of thing? That will help people advise you.

Setting up a dog grooming business might not be easy unless your wife can communicate with customers in different languages. If she's just going for English-speakers the market will be very small and probably well-covered already. Also she will have to pay the "autonómo" social security rate for self-employed workers, which soon goes up to over €250 a month even if you don't earn a penny. Might be better to investigate working for an existing company?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hiya Alcalaina and thanks for the reply , most probably somewhere near to the coast and with a large enough amount of expats to built friendships but not in a too touristy area ,and within 60-90 mins drive to a decent size airport,at the moment i fly into Kuala Lumper .

Ouch 250 euros per month for the autonómo ... that hurts lol,

We will both be starting to learn spanish in the next month or two so hopefully be able to hold a semi conversation by the time we arrive there.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Hiya Alcalaina and thanks for the reply , most probably somewhere near to the coast and with a large enough amount of expats to built friendships but not in a too touristy area ,and within 60-90 mins drive to a decent size airport,at the moment i fly into Kuala Lumper .

We will both be starting to learn spanish in the next month or two so hopefully be able to hold a semi conversation by the time we arrive there.
Hi,welcome to this lovely forum where you will find some lovely and very knowlegable people.We have lived in Spain for many,many years.If you could roughly say an area you are interested in you might get help from people in that area.Me and the other half know the Costa del Sol very well but don't know much about any of the other Costa's.Sincerely wishing you the best of luck with your move,certainly not something we would like to be doing in today's climate.Like I said if you can say a pacific area you might get the answers you are looking for off these wonderful people.Good luck,good hunting at least you have the internet for your searches which is something we didn't have nearly 23years ago.Have been on this forum 10years and what you are asking I have seen asked many,many times before.Research,research,research and hopefully you will be one of the lucky ones that make it.At least you have the intention of learning Spanish which will go a lot in your favour.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks tarot, we are pretty open minded to where but most likely Alicante surrounding area

·
Administrator
36,519 Posts
Come to Jávea. Very international, with about 5000 Brits out a population of about 28,000. Not overwhelming 'British' but they are there if you need them.

It's beautiful too....https://www.xabia.org/

·
Registered
U.K.
9,103 Posts
:israel:b

It is a lot of money, and has to be paid monthly no matter what your income, even zero income attracts autonomo payments. On top of which you have to consider tax returns and the quarterly autonomo returns, which you can do yourself but many people pay for a gestor that's an additional fee! The plus side is it's gives you state healthcare and a build up of a Spanish pension. At the moment when you are starting out there is an introduction period where the payments are lower gradually building up to the full amount

1 - 7 of 7 Posts