Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi there,

I am a Canadian currently in the UK with a Youth Mobility Visa (2 year) and it is expiring at the end of November 2017. Originally, my partner (British) was hoping to have received an invitation for International Experience Canada by now, and he was going to move back with me. However, he has not, and the IEC season is closing in a few weeks and invitations will not start to be sent again until the same time as when my visa expires(last year November 29-December 3rd was the first round of invitations). So we are in a bit of an awkward place, because we do not want to be split up when my visa expires.

We considered many options:

1.Having him come with me and applying for PR inland.. But he is not very comfortable with having to wait around 6 months for the work permit that inland applicants can apply for to come through before he can work.

2. Applying to sponsor him Outland for PR, ASAP. However, I'm concerned about some trips I've taken home over the past two years without him, so here is some background information.

I have lived in the UK for two years with him, but I have gone home to see my family three times, evenly spread out(May 2016 for 3 weeks, January 2017 for 3 weeks, July 2017 for 2.5 weeks), and always with a return ticket booked back to the UK. The last two trips home I had many ties to the UK including a job, bills, and an apartment. Each time I had to go by myself though because he could not have that time off work. I did not think this was an issue for common law status in Canada until I read on a few forums online that it could be. So will this be a problem if we did apply for PR in Canada right now(outland)? OR in a few months(inland)?

Which brings me to the next option...

3. We apply for the UK unmarried partner visa (as we have lived together 2 years), and then assuming it is accepted, we could apply for his PR Outland and move to Canada once he receives the PR card, or move to Canada with him on IEC (and do PR application once we are there). I am worried that this route is a bit of a waste of money, because it will cost each of is around 1, 000 CAD for the UK unmarried partners visa, which includes the healthcare surcharge you have to pay in the UK(which covers me for 30 months of healthcare), only to maybe use 8-10 months of it, and I think that might be a big mistake, as you are meant to apply for that visa if you intend to live in the UK permanently.

Please help! :O

Any advice is much appreciated. Sorry if my wording is confusing...but I am confused myself! :( ... :)

Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
5,184 Posts
Probably your best bet would be to try for the UK's Unmarried Partner visa... it's a bit of an eye watering expense, but if you're that desperate to stay while you get him sorted to come over, it may be your only option.

One thing... are you certain that you have proof of a minimum 2 years cohabitation? If you're short by as little as 10 days, you will be refused the visa and you will have to leave the UK (there are anecdotal accounts of this type of refusal happening over on the UK branch) and you cannot use the time that your application is being processed towards the 2 years cohabitation... everything that you are claiming must be as of the date of your application - i.e. your proof of cohabitation must date back 2 years to the date that you're applying on (which can be the date of expiry of your T5 visa, if you decide to apply by mail).

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Probably your best bet would be to try for the UK's Unmarried Partner visa... it's a bit of an eye watering expense, but if you're that desperate to stay while you get him sorted to come over, it may be your only option.

One thing... are you certain that you have proof of a minimum 2 years cohabitation? If you're short by as little as 10 days, you will be refused the visa and you will have to leave the UK (there are anecdotal accounts of this type of refusal happening over on the UK branch) and you cannot use the time that your application is being processed towards the 2 years cohabitation... everything that you are claiming must be as of the date of your application - i.e. your proof of cohabitation must date back 2 years to the date that you're applying on (which can be the date of expiry of your T5 visa, if you decide to apply by mail).

What do you think would be our best option if we did not go down the UK unmarried partners route? But went straight for Canada? Would it be OK for me to go home and we just wait for him to get the IEC? Or should I sponsor him inland/or outland?

Yes- for us we would have to send ours by mail on the last day of my visa. Because I moved in with him and his brother/brothers partner on the first day of my visa. We would need a letter from his family confirming I moved in that date, as well as any official mail we can find for the months we were with them.. After that we have tenancy agreements, and bills and other official papers addressed to us up until the end of my visa.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi there, he is within the age but the pool is closed now and won't be opening again until late fall this year,it is not announced yet, and with first rounds of invitations being around the same week my visa expires, and my job etc, we kinda need to choose what to do now... so we will put him in the pool when it reopens but we have no way to know when he might receive an invitation. UK and Canada have a cap on the number of IEC Visas unlike Australia and Canada. More people apply than they have visas. So it would be a risk for me to go home and we just wait for him to receive the invitation as it could be right away or it could be many months.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.