Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been reading posts on this forum for some time now and am still not sure where to post my concerns! Any advice would be welcomed! I am a UKC married to a nonEU spouse for nearly fifty years. We married in the UK but have lived outside for 34 years apart from two years. We are now thinking of applying for a spouse visa and would do so on the basis of savings. We have two children who live in the UK and we would like to spend time with them and our grandchildren other than the few weeks we spend with them now on holidays. One of my many questions before we make a decision is whether if our application is refused, would they then cancel his visitor visa feeling that we might go on holiday and overstay? We would never do that but I could see why they might think we could! So, before I continue, could someone direct me to the correct group on this forum. The expats living in the UK appears to only be for those actually living there with a spouse living elsewhere, whereas I am not living in the UK. My spouse and I live together abroad. Many thanks!

·
Super Moderator
18,064 Posts
If you are going the savings route you will need £62,500 which has been sitting in a readily accessible account untouched for 6 months. You'll also need suitable accommodation and to prove your relationship which after 50 years shouldn't be too hard.

If his application is not successful it would be in his best interest to apply for a visit visa in advance of any further trips to the UK.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for replying. When you say 'readily accessible' account, ours is in a fixed deposit on a month to month basis, easily broken and only losing that month's interest, which at the moment is very small! Is that acceptable, do you think? He already has the five year multiple entry visitors visa but I am wondering if they can cancel it if they feel you will overstay if your spousal vis is refused?

·
Registered
39,077 Posts
Yes, withdrawal with penalty is fine. With his visit visa, what basically happens is when he uses his spouse visa to enter UK, his visit visa is automatically cancelled as you can only have one leave to enter or remain in UK.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry, should have added that we have two properties in London so I would think the land registry documents would help to show we are together as they are in both names, along with bank statements from here and over there? It seems funny to say we have to prove we are together after all this time! We would of course send in our marriage certificate. I do not think we have any utility accounts here in both names. We would live in one flat so accommodation is not a problem.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, withdrawal with penalty is fine. With his visit visa, what basically happens is when he uses his spouse visa to enter UK, his visit visa is automatically cancelled as you can only have one leave to enter or remain in UK.
Thanks again...that makes sense. I just don't want them to refuse the spousal visa AND cancel the visit visa, making it impossible for us to visit the UK at all!

·
Super Moderator
18,064 Posts
Sorry, should have added that we have two properties in London so I would think the land registry documents would help to show we are together as they are in both names, along with bank statements from here and over there? It seems funny to say we have to prove we are together after all this time! We would of course send in our marriage certificate. I do not think we have any utility accounts here in both names. We would live in one flat so accommodation is not a problem.
Your marriage certificate is good along with anything like bank statements, mortgages etc in both of your names or barring that things addressed to each of you coming to the same address. A few photos of you together over the years.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Your marriage certificate is good along with anything like bank statements, mortgages etc in both of your names or barring that things addressed to each of you coming to the same address. A few photos of you together over the years.
No existing mortgages but land registry documents. The photos will give them a good laugh! Many thanks for your help and for yours Joppa! I am sure I will be back with more questions should we decide to give it a go.

·
Super Moderator
18,064 Posts
No existing mortgages but land registry documents. The photos will give them a good laugh! Many thanks for your help and for yours Joppa! I am sure I will be back with more questions should we decide to give it a go.
For proving the relationship, I mean things that come to your address in your current country of residence to prove that you actually live together.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
For proving the relationship, I mean things that come to your address in your current country of residence to prove that you actually live together.
Plenty of that although we have PO Boxes here, not physical addresses on most communications as we do not have postmen here.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.