Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! Hola

I /we have decided to sell our boat and buy a holiday home in the sun, the problem is that we are not sure where!

We are just a bit fed up with the poor weather we are having at the moment.

My good lady is interested in Gran Canaria, (I like it too).

I am searching Mediterranean Spain coast and sort of narrowed it down to and around torrevieha, La Zenia areas as I prefer the more lush / green land compared to the Canaries.

I really don't know the area well enough to make an informed decision where to focus our search! Any comments would be appreciated.

My restrictions are reasonable connections to airports and flights to Bristol or Exeter.

I have around 100 000euro to spend. At the moment, we are not looking for a house but looking for a nice area where to buy. Walking distance to the coast, shops and restaurants.

Any thoughts on Canaries or the Med?

Any beautiful areas to have a closer look?

Really many thanks for any suggestions and thoughts.

Cliff

·
Registered
439 Posts
Flights to Exeter are expensive but Bristol is very cheap £38 if you wait a couple of days (Easyjet but still). I don't know the area that well so I will leave that to someone else :)

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
The Mediterranean can be a cold place in winter, I prefer the Canary islands climate not too hot in summer and warm in the winter. Also the VAT is cheaper at only 7%.

For a green island have a look at the photos of this place, mainly taken in the spring time,

Link Below.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
El Hierro does look nice!

I'm very tempted with the canaries due to the all year round weather. I have looked at a couple of apartments in Puerto Rico. Its quite expensive to buy in the Canaries compared with the Med Spain, so the pay off is to down size to a basic apartment and have all year round weather. Or nice house with plenty of good weather!

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
El Hierro does look nice!

I'm very tempted with the canaries due to the all year round weather. I have looked at a couple of apartments in Puerto Rico. Its quite expensive to buy in the Canaries compared with the Med Spain, so the pay off is to down size to a basic apartment and have all year round weather. Or nice house with plenty of good weather!

Far cheaper if you get out of the Tourist areas like Puerto Rico, if I were to buy on Gran Canaria, I would consider Las Palmas, we have been having the odd week or ten days there, and I quite like it, good public transport so no need for a car, and everything at hand. Plus for us only a 45 minute flight. However you are right, property prices are cheaper on the Peninsular, but the winters put us off, my Father used to live north of Benidorm in Moraira, boy it was cold, he had two gas fires on, whereas here we don't need heating and we are higher than the Pennines.

Rent first, our first choice was Gran Canaria, we rented, then found this place, still like Gran Canaria though, first went there in 1962, I had hair then……...:)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hepa

Thanks for your reply. I'm looking for flights and accommodation in Las Palmas. It's school holiday time here so flights costs are hyped up!

I have just read a previous thread on Rent or Buy. I'm likely to take a long term rent first to test out the area. It gives me the option to move on somewhere else.

I'm still not sure about Canaries or Med spain. I need to get the feel of them both first before I make the move. We plan to have a second home so don't intend to move out permanently.

This forum is a great source for looking at other people's opinions. I'mglad I stumbled across it!

Cliff

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
Hepa

Thanks for your reply. I'm looking for flights and accommodation in Las Palmas. It's school holiday time here so flights costs are hyped up!

I have just read a previous thread on Rent or Buy. I'm likely to take a long term rent first to test out the area. It gives me the option to move on somewhere else.

I'm still not sure about Canaries or Med spain. I need to get the feel of them both first before I make the move. We plan to have a second home so don't intend to move out permanently.

This forum is a great source for looking at other people's opinions. I'mglad I stumbled across it!

Cliff
Excellent, rent first, in winter and summer, you can more or less get an idea within a very short time. Ours was a second home for many years, winters mainly, however the one in England became a worry so we sold everything, house, car, children, grandchildren :) and we are now here for good without having to return when the grass needs cutting.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts

I am searching Mediterranean Spain coast and sort of narrowed it down to and around torrevieha, La Zenia areas as I prefer the more lush / green land compared to the Canaries.

Personally I wouldn't consider those areas to be lush or green. The only Canary Island I've been to is Tenerife, several years ago, and I vaguely recall the north coast being greener than those areas. On the other hand North Costa Blanca is greener.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts