Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am a Chemical Engineer who failed to start a career in my country, Spain. Currently I am looking for a job in Mexico from Spain since I only speak spanish and english and my girfriend is from Mexico. The next month I am going to travel to Mexico to get married with my girlfriend and looking for a job in that country.

I spoke to my girlfriend and if I am not lucky applying for a job in Mexico I will look for a job worldwide so this would be the emergency plan.

So, I want to know the best countries to find a job and develop a career for a Chemical Engineer in any Continent. It doesn´t matter the salary and if It´s a good country for living or not I just want to be around professionals and gain as much experience as I can. I want to know good countries for entry level candidates and good job prospects for chemical engineers.

Thank you in advance.

·
Administrator
50,414 Posts
Finding that first job straight out of school has got to be the toughest job to find. And if you're applying for jobs as a foreigner, you'll need to be familiar with the immigration laws in the countries where you're looking.

Check first in the Mexico forum here to see what rights you will or won't have once you marry your Mexican girlfriend - in some countries the spouse doesn't automatically qualify for a work visa.

Then, in many countries these days, you need to find the job first and then have your employer sponsor your visa application. However, speaking Spanish and English, you've got most of Central and South America to try.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Finding that first job straight out of school has got to be the toughest job to find. And if you're applying for jobs as a foreigner, you'll need to be familiar with the immigration laws in the countries where you're looking.

Check first in the Mexico forum here to see what rights you will or won't have once you marry your Mexican girlfriend - in some countries the spouse doesn't automatically qualify for a work visa.

Then, in many countries these days, you need to find the job first and then have your employer sponsor your visa application. However, speaking Spanish and English, you've got most of Central and South America to try.
Cheers,
Bev
Well... I have 1 year and 5 months of experience in two different kind of jobs related with Energy & Oil & Gas, sorry for omit this detail. We know the rights and advantages to get married in Mexico. I have had some job interviews through Skype being in Spain (during 5 months) but all failed due to different reasons, mainly for not being there, others for not covering the desired profile.

If Mexico fails... What would you do? Give me your opinion, I am worried about this.

·
Administrator
50,414 Posts
Give Mexico a chance - it's true that the fact you weren't yet "on site" probably played a big role in that job not working out. It's darned difficult to find a job from overseas, particularly if you can't show up in the office for an interview.

Give yourself a good period of time - six months to a year - after you're married and make sure you're using all the tools at hand: LinkedIn, Monster, local papers, find some local professional associations, etc. It really makes a huge difference when you're in the area and can turn up (for an interview or to start work) tomorrow rather than "in a couple months."
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Give Mexico a chance - it's true that the fact you weren't yet "on site" probably played a big role in that job not working out. It's darned difficult to find a job from overseas, particularly if you can't show up in the office for an interview.

Give yourself a good period of time - six months to a year - after you're married and make sure you're using all the tools at hand: LinkedIn, Monster, local papers, find some local professional associations, etc. It really makes a huge difference when you're in the area and can turn up (for an interview or to start work) tomorrow rather than "in a couple months."
Cheers,
Bev
Bevdeforges, this is a really good advice! By reading you I feel more confident. Another advantage of Mexico is that is cheaper than Spain.

Thank you!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts