Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all:

I have been researching for options/quotes to get some work done in my kitchen. I will be moving next week to Paris and I need the cooker to be installed and allow for some extra sockets. The plumbing for the wash machine, requires to be set. Is there anyone that can recommend an english or spanish and french speaking certified electrician/plumber to do this job?

Thanks in advance!

Mags

·
Banned
6,806 Posts
Two things occur to me:

1) is your landlord allowing you to add more sockets & to muck around with the kitchen?
2) your landlord (seems to be an obliging chap inasmuch as he gave you details of the cooker supply) probably knows someone whose work he can recommend.

h

PS - installing a cooker - electric, right? - you just need to plug it in! Oh - you probably need to change the plug, but that's a piece of cake with a screwdriver and possibly a pair of wire cutters/strippers. (scissors, nail clippers or good teeth also work for the latter....)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Two things occur to me:

1) is your landlord allowing you to add more sockets & to muck around with the kitchen?
2) your landlord (seems to be an obliging chap inasmuch as he gave you details of the cooker supply) probably knows someone whose work he can recommend.

h

PS - installing a cooker - electric, right? - you just need to plug it in! Oh - you probably need to change the plug, but that's a piece of cake with a screwdriver and possibly a pair of wire cutters/strippers. (scissors, nail clippers or good teeth also work for the latter....)
Thanks... I am asking the question because I have passed already for a long research process including asking my landlord. I am getting a new cooker from UK. It is required to be wired but the warranty and insurance won't work if is not installed by a certified electrician (as is the case in UK, even if is it only to plug it!). I also don't have a fitted kitchen so I am upgrading the kitchen. The only item in the kitchen is a sink with base unit.
I think this clarifies why I am asking such question.

·
Registered
4,909 Posts
No, don't plug it in to a normal socket. If you have 4 hotplates then you a need heavy duty supply. I'm sorry I don't have the power figures to hand. You will see that the electrical cable for the cooker is much thicker than usual - it's important that those squiggly amperes can pass through the right cable / sockets / switches.

DejW

·
Banned
6,806 Posts
OK, I understand the reason for your question now, but quite frankly, unless you're paying a huge amount for the cooker, the amount you'll pay for the electrician probably outweighs any guarantee value, by the time they invoke all their get-out clauses.

But it IS important that your landlord approve the works you want to undertake otherwise you'll be paying again when you move out to restore everything to the way it is currently. (& get it in writing!)

h

·
Banned
6,806 Posts
No, don't plug it in to a normal socket. If you have 4 hotplates then you a need heavy duty supply. I'm sorry I don't have the power figures to hand. You will see that the electrical cable for the cooker is much thicker than usual - it's important that those squiggly amperes can pass through the right cable / sockets / switches.

DejW
Up to a point that's true Dej, but the cooker will come with the correctly rated cable. If the socket supplied for the cooker is rated for cooker consumption, the internal wiring will accommodate it. All of my cooking appliances (in all 4 properties) are on standard plugs, but you are right; depending upon how the property is wired, it might require an over-sized plug for a larger-than-normal socket - but it's still a piece of cake to rewire.

h

Ps that applies for washing machines, washer-dryers and some tumble dryers too

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Up to a point that's true Dej, but the cooker will come with the correctly rated cable. If the socket supplied for the cooker is rated for cooker consumption, the internal wiring will accommodate it. All of my cooking appliances (in all 4 properties) are on standard plugs, but you are right; depending upon how the property is wired, it might require an over-sized plug for a larger-than-normal socket - but it's still a piece of cake to rewire.

h
Yes, thanks for that too. The compatibility, amp, cable thickness, fuse allocation and house load were all assessed previous to take any actions. The landlord has been acknowledge and he has approved the work based on having a certified electrician.

·
Banned
6,806 Posts
Yes, thanks for that too. The compatibility, amp, cable thickness, fuse allocation and house load were all assessed previous to take any actions. The landlord has been acknowledge and he has approved the work based on having a certified electrician.
in writing? sent by recorded delivery?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.