Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys I am in process of applying to start a job at GEMS wellington in silcion oasis? Anyone already teaching there? Looking for pros and cons and also details of the package that they offer??

I have a husband and 18 month old daughter, also a 6 year old stepson who we want to fly out regularly.

Any advice and tips welcome completely honest please!
Thanks Stacey

·
Registered
572 Posts
Our kids go there (4 and 7) and they love it.

The school opened last September and is fast establishing a real identity - parent groups forming etc.

The facilities are very good and the staff interact very well with us.

Can't comment on life from the other side of the desk of course, but most seem happy to us at least.

:)

·
Registered
72 Posts
The Head of School is lovely (my wife used to work for him!). We loved the look of the school when we had a visit to Dubai in October - very jealous!! Not sure of the arrangements, but worth considering accommodation - we felt GEMS DSO was quite far out from 'main Dubai' if there is such a thing.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi Staceylou,

I can't help you at the moment but I have been offered a contract with Gems. I am just waiting to hear whether it is Wellington or WSO so I am in the same boat as you but will be going out alone.

It hasn't really sunk in yet but would be nice to keep each other up to date on the processes or any help from anyone who has already moved out there on what to expect for those first few months?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi

Lovely to hear from someone in the same boat, im feeling slightly overwhelmed by it all!

I am waiting for an interview with the principal. What was your interview process like? What job have you gone for, class teacher? What age? (Sorry for questions!)

My position would be at WSO working with special needs, job sounds fantastic just need to get my head round everything else. Think be better when got more details.

Thanks again for the reply, will work out how to message you. (or if you are on facebook could message you that way? sometimes easier)

Stacey

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yes it is not sinking in yet for me either, i've tried to start clearing out all my things as i am a bit of a hoarder but still have far too much! LOL

You are the first reply I have used on this forum so not sure how to send a private message to give you my facebook details.

I was interviewed in London by the principal. My position is for either KS1 or KS2 but wont know which until nearer the time. I have already sent my contract off but need to get all my documents attested ready to send to the school.

When is your interview? Is it on Skype or in London. You get looked after when you are there by one of the GEMS team then the principal came to collect you. I hate interviews but I was made to feel really welcome and everything just came naturally. Towards the end of the interview I felt like there was no pressure and we were just having a great conversation. I felt really good afterwards rather than the usual I should of said this or that.

If you can try and send me a message privately we can swap fb addresses and then able to help each other along more there.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hiya i cant send you a message as your settings wont allow it and you dont have enough replies yet.

Search for me on facebook (Stacey Bradwell) profile pic is my daughter in a crisp box!!

·
Registered
70 Posts
staceylou said:
Hiya i cant send you a message as your settings wont allow it and you dont have enough replies yet.

Search for me on facebook (Stacey Bradwell) profile pic is my daughter in a crisp box!!
I second that...I tried to pm you too! Pop me a pm when u can!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've tried to find you but there is only one woman coming up from Durham who shares your name.

DO i have to receive 5 replies as well or just post 5 items first before i can pm?

Sorry I only joined yesterday. :-s

·
Registered
70 Posts
Keocandy said:
I've tried to find you but there is only one woman coming up from Durham who shares your name.

DO i have to receive 5 replies as well or just post 5 items first before i can pm?

Sorry I only joined yesterday. :-s
Think u have to post five times to the forum

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi guys I am in process of applying to start a job at GEMS wellington in silcion oasis? Anyone already teaching there? Looking for pros and cons and also details of the package that they offer??

I have a husband and 18 month old daughter, also a 6 year old stepson who we want to fly out regularly.

Any advice and tips welcome completely honest please!
Thanks Stacey
Hi I have just got a teaching job at a GEMS school! I have got a good package I am happy with, I get an accommodation allowance rather than housing provided. I am moving out at the end of July to get everything sorted to start teaching in september.
If you would like to keep in touch that would be great! :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
GEMS American Academy- Abu Dhabi

Hello, i am new here. I am in the interview process with GAA- Abu Dhabi. Does anyone have any information about the school? Whats it like working there? Hows the benefits package, etc?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts