Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am from USA, Kansas to be exact, and am a federal employee looking to retire within the next year or so. I have been seriously considering relocating overseas when I retire. Any retired expat federal employees who might have insight would be very welcomed! At this point, I have not pinpointed exactly where I will be moving to.

I had considered Spain or Portugal, but with the current world situation am a little hesitant. I have also looked at Mexico, Uruguay, Ecuador and Panama as possibilities. I will relocating as a single female so safety is an issue and am looking for a place that would be most attractive for single retirees. Any input would be appreciated!

Sunset Coaster:)

·
Administrator
51,307 Posts
The world situation aside, have you ever been to the various countries you're considering? That would be the first step. Granted, actually living someplace is very different from "just visiting" but it helps to be on the ground for a while, checking out just how you'd find a place to live, do regular grocery shopping and/or handle ordinary chores like going to the doctor, getting your hair cut/done or arranging for standard services. (Besides, doing an exploratory trip overseas is fun, too.)
Cheers,
Bev

·
Super Moderator
Originally from UK but lived in many countries
7,074 Posts
Hi,
You also need to do a bit of research on things such as healthcare(costs and quality), safety, crime rate, climate, communcations (mobile, internet speed etc.), food prices, visa requirements, driving standards, can you get eveything you normally got at home etc. etc.
I would be creating a simple spreadsheet that lists the countries vs. all the above points (plus othes that are important to you).
Once you have the data - you can then rank and sort them before going onto the next stage and visiting a few that are top ranked.
The World is your oyster!
Best of luck
Steve

1 - 3 of 3 Posts