Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to this forum and this is my first post. I am a US citizen, 71 years old, retired, and with independent financial means, and would like to learn the laws, rules and requirements for buying property and living in France on a long-term basis. I have no intention of working to make a living, either thru employment or a business, in France, and will not be a liability to the French social security system. I would appreciate if someone could enlighten me with relevant information, or point me to alternate source for such information that might be helpful. Thank you very much.

stardust....

·
Administrator
50,425 Posts
Basically, you need to check the website for the French consulate in the US - in your case, the consulate in NYC. Long stay visitor’s visa - Consulat général de France à New York

As a retiree, you're looking for a long stay visa for visitors. This will require you to show that you have the resources to support yourself, plus that you have an appropriate health insurance coverage. You may want to take a look at the group plans available through AARO, which is a US expat organization headquartered in Paris: https://aaro.org/medical-insurance You have to be a member to take their insurance, but they do publish their rates list so it gives you an idea of what the necessary cover costs.
Cheers,
Bev

1 - 2 of 2 Posts