Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there and probably been covered before, but looking for suggestions for where to rent long term that could find a job to supplement rental income. We are a couple in our early 50s willing to do anything with joint salary 1500 euros. We would have safety net in savings. Also the true cost of utilities and life in Spain. Would consider Costa Blanca South and Murcia. Any thoughts.
Regards Gavin

·
Registered
19,395 Posts
Hi there and probably been covered before, but looking for suggestions for where to rent long term that could find a job to supplement rental income. We are a couple in our early 50s willing to do anything with joint salary 1500 euros. We would have safety net in savings. Also the true cost of utilities and life in Spain. Would consider Costa Blanca South and Murcia. Any thoughts.
Regards Gavin
I'm sorry to tell you that getting legal permanent work will be difficult. You might be able to pick up bar work etc (although even that wouldn't be easy due to the massive numbers of young unemployed people in the south of Spain), but come November, December what would you do?
Try doing a bit of research on unemployment figures in Andalucia, or Spain's economy and see what you find.
See what other people think, but I think the days of picking up and getting a job in the sun are over.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Hi Walkerg,

Welcome, you're right the subject has been covered over and over. Therefore, have a look at old posts, especially from truthful posters like me (the words "bitter" leper have been used to describe me and who am I to refute?).

From where I stand you seem to be fast forwarding the hope of the dream. There are droves of contributors on this forum who will advise you to in renting -V- buying. You have got to make up your own mind here, so tread carefully. The best than can happen is that you can live the dream early and the worst that can happen is that you could lose your life savings. So don't leave your brains behind at Stansed.

Remember when you are dealing with people such as me you are getting advice from faceless individuals who have or have not vested interests in attracting people to live the dream. Don't take anything you hear for granted; believe nothing what you hear and believe half of what you see.

The good news is (if you can afford it) now is the time to buy after making up your wishlist and ticking all the boxes. Your wife/partner will have a wishlist also. If you cannot afford to take the hit, then rent off season for as many weeks as you can. Learn Spanish and enjoy the learning. Don't take any kind of employment as a given because employment in Spain has never been as bad. Don't become another irrelevant statistic.

In Spain know your enemies and learn who your friends are.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I recently saw an advert looking for a couple about your age to live rent free in a small house near Benidorm
in return for cleaning, maintenance and gardening of a larger house nearby.

These opportunities do exist just not that often. I would also expect that there were a lot of applicants for that position. There was, of course, no income - just rent free.

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
You would need an employment contract to secure healthcare provision, or you'd need to take out private cover

Jo xxx

·
Registered
22,369 Posts
'Willing to do anything'.....
But what are your actual professional skills, I wonder....
That phrase, along with 'can turn my hand to anything'. surely rules out engaging in trades where some skill andexperience is required, which precludes almost everything apart from hóuse cleaning and pool and garden maintenance.
Around here there is, sadly, no shortage of desperate unemployed Spanish people, advertising via flyers on lampposts and trees, willing to work for €4 an hour...

·
Registered
78 Posts
Are you saying that you have an existing income of 1500 euros from property that you rent out in the UK?

If so, many Spanish people would give their eye teeth to have that coming in....

If you are up for living relatively frugally, you can rent in the Costa Blanca South a 1 bedroom house for 250-300 a month. Electricity, bottled gas for heating and cooking, water & bin collection, somewhere in the 150 a month range for a small place.

Groceries... depending on your lifestyle choices.... say 400 a month?

Still leaves plenty left over? :fingerscrossed:

If I had 1500 euros a month coming in, I would be over to stay in a heartbeat, and to hang with finding any work lol.... :D

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
Here in the Canary Isles, El Hierro, we run two properties and a car on €1500 a month, that does not include nights out or holidays.

However the cost of living here is cheaper, 7% purchase tax, petrol 92 cents a litre, no heating or air-conditioning bills.

Also the Canary Isles are 4+ hours from U.K. and almost a thousand miles from other Spanish territories.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts