Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hola! I'm moving to Mojacar on the 6th of July and finding it difficult to find a long term property to rent. I have been in touch with a few estate agents however they are not much help. Does anyone know or can point me in the right direction of any long term properties to rent in this area. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
Hola! I'm moving to Mojacar on the 6th of July and finding it difficult to find a long term property to rent. I have been in touch with a few estate agents however they are not much help. Does anyone know or can point me in the right direction of any long term properties to rent in this area. Thanks in advance.
Welcome to the forum.

Have you been over to Mojacar and looked at any properties??? Agents are notoriously bad at communicating when you're not available to view

Jo xxx

·
Registered
558 Posts
Mojacar Playa is an ideal location populated by Spanish and expats 50/50. I would be surprised that if you contacted Price-Brown Partnership estate agentsthere that they would be unhelpful. I have always found them to be a professional company.

However, I recommend you visit Mojacar Playa yourself. If you must stay in a hotel or hostel or pensión. You are due there from early July. You probably guessed that this is probably the worst time of year to look for long term rentals. If you can hold off until mid September I reckon you will get much better rental deals (longterm you could expect to pay rental of €550 per month on a 2 bedroom well located apartment).

Things are picking up for property owners in sought after areas in Mojacar Playa. Having taken a hit over the past eight years they are monitoring events and deciding whether to sell, rent, rent long term, rent short term, rent medium term, hold peak season for greater gain etc.

I can see your point of view too i.e. I'm here with a few bob in my hand and cannot spend it! The landlords see the same situation in a different light you are here with a few bob and could be back in the UK in a month renting a €2000 rental for €550. Let's say you stay for July and August having paid two months rental of €1100 and the landlord could have got near €4000.

Its no contest from where I sit. Sorry!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have never been before and I know it will be better when I'm out there as I can look for myself however I have a place to stay in the immediate time. I have been recommended other places like garrucha im a right in saying its 30 mins away? Is there nothing just outside Mojacar on a bus route as I will not have my car?

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
I have never been before and I know it will be better when I'm out there as I can look for myself however I have a place to stay in the immediate time. I have been recommended other places like garrucha im a right in saying its 30 mins away? Is there nothing just outside Mojacar on a bus route as I will not have my car?
You should visit and hire a car maybe? before you contemplate moving there - pictures of properties can be very misleading and are you sure its the right area??

Jo xxx

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll be working in a hair and beauty salon in Mojacar playa so I'll need to be in that area however don't mind getting a bus if needs be until I suss the area out. Even if it's in Mojacar town I've been told that's a 15 min car/bus journey away. Thanks for you help appreciate your input. Xx

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
I'll be working in a hair and beauty salon in Mojacar playa so I'll need to be in that area however don't mind getting a bus if needs be until I suss the area out. Even if it's in Mojacar town I've been told that's a 15 min car/bus journey away. Thanks for you help appreciate your input. Xx

Go over there beforehand and have a look. You need to be there to find out where to rent, whats convenient and visit a few agents

Jo xxx

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
Hi Rnjel. To start with, you might want to try sleeping with the enemy by renting through Airbnb. Here's a listing of rentals for Mojacar:

https://www.airbnb.com/s/Mojácar--Almería--Spain?checkin=&source=bb&ss_id=gtmdx2dy

When I first came to Spain, I rented through Airbnb. Now I'm in a private long-term contract.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I didn't realise that airbnb allowed you to book whole apartments. Thanks ALLHEART for that.
There are some real bargains there - out of the main summer season.

·
Registered
558 Posts
When I read Rnjel's first post I thought she (I am assuming 'she') I had little hope for her successful transition to Spain. She hopes to make a living working in a haridressing salon per her latest post. Now, I believe she has no hope. Spain is overscribed with so many hairdressers, beauticians, nail technicians, etc. The Iberian Peninsula should have the most beautified people in the world. Only thing, hairdressing etc attracts much less pay than in the UK.

I fear starting on early July just ensures she will be working as holiday relief. I fear bigtime.

I want to be wrong, I admire her tenacity, I would advise Rnjel to have a dignified retreat arranged even before she sets foot in Spain. Sorry Rnjel!

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
When I read Rnjel's first post I thought she (I am assuming 'she') I had little hope for her successful transition to Spain. She hopes to make a living working in a haridressing salon per her latest post. Now, I believe she has no hope. Spain is overscribed with so many hairdressers, beauticians, nail technicians, etc. The Iberian Peninsula should have the most beautified people in the world. Only thing, hairdressing etc attracts much less pay than in the UK.

I fear starting on early July just ensures she will be working as holiday relief. I fear bigtime.

I want to be wrong, I admire her tenacity, I would advise Rnjel to have a dignified retreat arranged even before she shet foot in Spain. Sorry Rnjel!
She certainly needs to make sure she has an employment contract

Jo xxx

·
Registered
472 Posts

I want to be wrong, I admire her tenacity, I would advise Rnjel to have a dignified retreat arranged even before she sets foot in Spain. Sorry Rnjel!
Leper, all your posts seem very bitter. I presume you have had your fingers burned and thus have problems with other people coming here and trying to make a go of it. Your advice regarding an exit strategy is sound advice, however we know very little about the OP's circumstances (age, single or married, kids, financial status, is the job through a friend, etc). What we do know, though, is (s)he has a job lined up which is no mean feat and is something very positive to get things started. I think you should give the OP some credit, assume they're a grown-up with their head screwed on and eyes wide open, curb any temptations to assume all will go wrong and stop thinking everyone is a numpty that can't figure out possible problems for themselves.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi Rnjel. To start with, you might want to try sleeping with the enemy by renting through Airbnb. Here's a listing of rentals for Mojacar:

https://www.airbnb.com/s/Mojácar--Almería--Spain?checkin=&source=bb&ss_id=gtmdx2dy

When I first came to Spain, I rented through Airbnb. Now I'm in a private long-term contract.
Hey thanks for the help I would have never of found this

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Leper, all your posts seem very bitter. I presume you have had your fingers burned and thus have problems with other people coming here and trying to make a go of it. Your advice regarding an exit strategy is sound advice, however we know very little about the OP's circumstances (age, single or married, kids, financial status, is the job through a friend, etc). What we do know, though, is (s)he has a job lined up which is no mean feat and is something very positive to get things started. I think you should give the OP some credit, assume they're a grown-up with their head screwed on and eyes wide open, curb any temptations to assume all will go wrong and stop thinking everyone is a numpty that can't figure out possible problems for themselves.
Hey thanks for the support I was getting the same vib from the above posts I'm just looking for advise on accommodation not criticism as of to why I'm coming and what I will be doing! X

·
Registered
558 Posts
All my posts are not bitter. They might contain warnings for people trying to make a living in Spain. My fingers were not burned and now in my sixties have been around the block. Like in the Johnny Cash, I've seen them come and go . . .and long ago I stopped askin' why.

Do you know the hairdressing industry in Mojacar Playa? Do you know what hairdressers get paid there? Does Rnjel speak perfect Spanish? Does Rnjel know everything she is about to get herself into? How many people failed or succeeded in the hairdressing industry in just the past three years in Mojacar Playa? Does Rnjel have a paying job or does she have just access to renting a hardressers chair where she will start in a minus situation every day? Somebody mentioned a contract; does Rnjel know what is written in the contract? Look at some of the expats here trying to stay above water. Spain is a minefield strewn with mines which will blow the unassuming barefooted to bits. Consequently, please heed my advice and test the ground beforehand as much as you can.

Helenameva, I try to inform people of the full truth in seeking an existence in Spain. I live in Mojacar Playa currently and have been visiting establishments from Vera to Carboneras on a daily basis. I keep my eyes open and my ears pricked. I hope (please, I really hope) people will make it here. I haven't seen anything to reassure me than Rnjel will make it as a hairdresser in Mojacar Playa. So if you know something of the hairdressing industry please share.

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
All my posts are not bitter. They might contain warnings for people trying to make a living in Spain. My fingers were not burned and now in my sixties have been around the block. Like in the Johnny Cash, I've seen them come and go . . .and long ago I stopped askin' why.

Do you know the hairdressing industry in Mojacar Playa? Do you know what hairdressers get paid there? Does Rnjel speak perfect Spanish? Does Rnjel know everything she is about to get herself into? How many people failed or succeeded in the hairdressing industry in just the past three years in Mojacar Playa? Does Rnjel have a paying job or does she have just access to renting a hardressers chair where she will start in a minus situation every day? Somebody mentioned a contract; does Rnjel know what is written in the contract? Look at some of the expats here trying to stay above water. Spain is a minefield strewn with mines which will blow the unassuming barefooted to bits. Consequently, please heed my advice and test the ground beforehand as much as you can.

Helenameva, I try to inform people of the full truth in seeking an existence in Spain. I live in Mojacar Playa currently and have been visiting establishments from Vera to Carboneras on a daily basis. I keep my eyes open and my ears pricked. I hope (please, I really hope) people will make it here. I haven't seen anything to reassure me than Rnjel will make it as a hairdresser in Mojacar Playa. So if you know something of the hairdressing industry please share.

It sounds to me as if Rnjel is young and has no ties - if you cant do it then, well when can you.

She may be a bit naive, the employment contract bit bothers me, cos without one, she wont have any healthcare or be able to become a resident. But she'll learn the pitfalls and problems of Spain and if she has no responsibilities, then she can go back to Scotland, look back and see it as an adventure. But for now, she just wants somewhere to live and thats not easy or cheap at this time of the year

Jo xxx

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
Hey thanks for the help I would have never of found this
You're very welcome. The nice thing is that often rooms are open to the last minute, and you're moving in just over a week, so that suits you well. I hope all works out for you. :fingerscrossed:

·
Registered
558 Posts
It sounds to me as if Rnjel is young and has no ties - if you cant do it then, well when can you.

She may be a bit naive, the employment contract bit bothers me, cos without one, she wont have any healthcare or be able to become a resident. But she'll learn the pitfalls and problems of Spain and if she has no responsibilities, then she can go back to Scotland, look back and see it as an adventure. But for now, she just wants somewhere to live and thats not easy or cheap at this time of the year

Jo xxx
Hi Jo-Jo "It sounds to me . . ." + "if" + "may be a bit naive" + "if" again + "see it as an adventure" + "for now"

I know you mean well, but nothing solid here. This is not an adventure this is a person setting out trying to make a living. Let's look at reality:-
1. No fulltime job - probably - rent a hairdressers chair at best? - Little Income assured.
2. Accommodation must be paid for and in advance with deposits + utility bills
3. No back-up known.
4. Fluent Spanish needed too.

. . . and then we come to an isolated person trying to make a life for herself in what is a hostile environment. Unfortunately, I think I could write the script. She is open to every vulnerable down-turn I know of. I wish, I could say something positive.

I am known in Mojacar Playa. I don't give spurious advice. I see, walk, talk reality every day. Some day I hope I don't have to listen to stories from people collecting money to repatriate let-down ex-pats to Blighty. Hairdressers are foremost in let-downs of what I have seen. I want to see people succeed; I love looking at people enjoying themselves; I hate when things go pear-shape.

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
Hi Jo-Jo "It sounds to me . . ." + "if" + "may be a bit naive" + "if" again + "see it as an adventure" + "for now"

I know you mean well, but nothing solid here. This is not an adventure this is a person setting out trying to make a living. Let's look at reality:-
1. No fulltime job - probably - rent a hairdressers chair at best? - Little Income assured.
2. Accommodation must be paid for and in advance with deposits + utility bills
3. No back-up known.
4. Fluent Spanish needed too.

. . . and then we come to an isolated person trying to make a life for herself in what is a hostile environment. Unfortunately, I think I could write the script. She is open to every vulnerable down-turn I know of. I wish, I could say something positive.

I am known in Mojacar Playa. I don't give spurious advice. I see, walk, talk reality every day. Some day I hope I don't have to listen to stories from people collecting money to repatriate let-down ex-pats to Blighty. Hairdressers are foremost in let-downs of what I have seen. I want to see people succeed; I love looking at people enjoying themselves; I hate when things go pear-shape.
I dont disagree with you and you've posted just as many "ifs +s" but what the heck. She just wants to know about renting a long term property, we know nothing more job? Longevity? Employment contract?. We've told her thats difficult at this time of the year, that she needs to see these places first, but anything else is up to her. She's young and can pick herself up I'm sure.

Jo xxx

1 - 20 of 25 Posts