Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Long Term Rental Advice

6K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  toast 
#1 ·
We are considering renting out our house here in the UK and spend some time living in Spain - around 5-6 months over the winter period.

We are both early-retired and not looking to work and believe we can rent a half decent apartment/small house for around 500-600 euros a month ? I think our main issue is that we want to bring our dog also, so that will restrict the amount of properties available to us.

not certain on area..... but do want to be within walking distance of the coastline, some shops, and public transport (although we will bring our car anyway).

Thinking about the Alicante area - is the weather ok - not expecting sunshine etc but hoping for a bit better than back in the UK ? From research I think utilities will cost about the same, and also groceries etc.

We will pobably decide on a property before we go but is that wrong.... perhaps we should take a 2-week let and then look around as soon as we get there, but don't want to lose out on a good place. And I read that the contract we take out must be in spanish ? Not sure about all the legalities that go with a longer let.

Any advice anyone on pitfalls we should be aware of. Towns to look out for, towns to avoid over the winter - we would hate to end up in a ghost town because everyone has left the area for the winter !

So much to research !

Would just love some tipbits of advice to help us along our way :)

See less See more
#2 ·
As early retirees, you MUST factor in private health care which will be an additional expense.

Also, be prepared to have to prove that you can survive in Spain (financially that is). Everyone, it seems, now has to prove they have sufficient income to live (showing pay slips etc.) and has to show that they have medical cover.

In your situation you may find it hard to show that you have sufficient income as it is very unclear as to how one can show that they will live off savings etc.

#3 ·
Thanks for that advice - I do have a monthly pension which I could show so that will cover that I think, and rental from my UK property so that will help I assume. I hope not to get sick of course and hadn't considered taking out any special private health insurance - perhaps I should look into that. When you say you have to "prove" the income and health insurance..... who would you have to prove it to and why ?

I am learning new things each day !

#4 ·
Bring your European Health card; you then register at the local clinic which will last for 3 months in most places then simply re'register.

I have seen a number of posts which say that you must now 'prove' you can live here financially yet a number of people I know have moved here last week and this and none of them had to prove anything. They have moved for periods as short as three months and one couple indefinitely. When is that you have to prove financial independence when all Europeans are free to move around Europe without obsticle??

#6 ·
you're free to move around Europe, but not to live anywhere you chose

as of 24th April, Spain has re-instated it's requirement for proof of income & proof of healthcare

when you go to register as resident you now have to show proof

the EHIC is for emergency holiday healthcare ONLY - it is NOT for people moving to Spain or anywhere else

in some areas they are really cracking down & keeping records of people using the EHIC - if 'they' consider you are using it too often or in a timeframe which suggests you live here, they will refuse treatment, according to reports from people this has apparently happened to

#7 ·
I have been on this forum advising Brits to stay where they are and if looking for work, Spain is not the place in which to send cvs in the current financial climate. Ummy seems to have everything in his/her favour and Spain is the place for a happier retirement albeit for only a few months per year.

For €500/€600 per month good quality accommodation can easily be sourced. And why confine yourself to just one location or area? It is warmer and drier south of Alicante so consider the Murcia region, Costa Almeria, Costa Calma and high rise Costa del Sol.

If you need medical assistance who is going to challenge you whether you are there for a few months or just for a few days? My advice is go to Spain, spend six weeks here and another six weeks there etc. If you enjoy a particular location, then there is little stopping you for extending your stay even if you have to source other accommodation.

#15 ·
Oliva is quite a nice town in two main parts - the old and the new. The old town is full of character whilst the new part (to me anyway) always seems to be full of Germans and/or English.

The beaches though are great!

Being a 'real' town, it stays open all year 'round.

#17 ·
try Santa Pola, is just south of Alicante(10 km to alicante international airport), is a small town, fisherman village with a nice sport harbourg, peacefull during winter but with permanent residents, fish and fruit markets, restaurants, shops, is very nice and easy going, and being at 10 km to the airport and 20 to Alicante(a large city), you have all facilities with in a 20 mins drive.
in summer is very bussy, not packed but bussy, but for winter is ideal to live ina relaxed(non isolated ) environment.
Try the red shrimp from Santa Pola, is unique!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.