Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

My husband and I are getting older and we are getting health issues. Eventually one of us is going to need long-term care. In the USA assisted living, nursing homes, or in-home care are very expensive. We have long-term care insurance but with the rate medical care is rising, our insurance won't be enough to cover our needs.

We are thinking of moving to another country so that when it is time for care we will be able to afford it. The problem is, we aren't sure what countries have good medical care and good long-term care facilities.

What arrangements are you making in your new country to make sure you are cared for when you cannot care for yourself?

·
Banned
6,189 Posts
Before getting too far into this search, does that U.S. long term care insurance provide benefits if you/he are outside the United States? Many U.S. LTC policies do not.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, it doesn't. But I figured if it was inexpensive enough outside of the USA that I could pay for it out of pocket. Because, by the time we need the long-term care we will be paying a very significant amount out of pocket anyway.

·
Banned
6,189 Posts
OK, I wouldn't assume that, so I would also advise that you fully investigate your best options in the U.S. States and institutions vary tremendously in the cost and quality of long-term care offered, so shop around. Also, Medicare provides some limited coverage, and Medicaid provides a backstop if you run through practically everything (financially speaking). Those programs do not generally pay benefits outside the U.S.

Mexico is a relatively popular destination for nursing home care given its lower costs and proximity to the U.S. However, the quality of care in Mexico is even less consistent than it is in the U.S., so you have to be extra careful to monitor the situation closely. Other countries that get some press as long-term care destinations include Hungary, the Czech Republic, Slovakia, Thailand, and the Philippines, among others.

·
Administrator
50,428 Posts
In some countries, long-term care depends on your situation in the local health care system. Retirees are often required to carry private health insurance (because they have not contributed to the national health care system over the years) and so it depends on the private policy you purchase. Also the type of long term care facilities available varies greatly by country.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
6 Posts
nursing care

Another thing to consider is that, if you had to go to the hospital whilst you were in a nursing home, Medicare would pay for a good portion of your hospital stay (80%, I think), but only if the hospital you went to were located in the United States. Whereas, if you were to go to a hospital located in Mexico, I believe that Medicare would not pay for any of your hospital stay. It's a frustrating situation.

Tay

1 - 6 of 6 Posts