Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

My husband and I moved to France two months ago and are enjoying life in Arles so much.

I have a question about long term care insurance. Though we would like to think that we would never need it, we do need to prepare for the possibility that one or both of us would require long term care for an extended period of time.

We have read several articles about long term care insurance and understand that about 15% of the French population has it, so we know it is available here.

I wondered if someone could suggest where to begin to research and secure this type of insurance.

Would anyone be able to recommend a company/agent (assuming this complies with the Forum rules)?

Finally, I do want to ask one question about the health care system in France.
I understand that we do not have access to it. However, as I understand it, if our visa is renewed for five consecutive years, then we become permanent residents. If this is the case, would we then be eligible to use the French health care system?

Thank you!

Maryanne Sea

·
Registered
974 Posts
I don't know anything about the insurance but I think I can answer your other question.

It's not that you renew your visa but your residency permit (carte de sejour). After five years of renewing it, yes, you will receive (though I don't know if it's automatic) a carte de resident which is valid for 10 years. I think this allows you to work in France, and presumably once you are working and making contributions (cotisations) you will be able to join the health care system. Sorry for my hazy answer but more knowledgeable members will be along soon.

·
Administrator
50,009 Posts
On the visa/carte de séjour issue - it depends on what sort of visa/carte de séjour you are currently on. Not sure exactly the distinction, but those who came to France to retire from outside the EU continue to have to show evidence of private insurance each year. Those with work privileges will eventually get cartes de residente. To get into the health care system, you need to be working and/or contributing to the social insurance system somehow.

On the insurance - you may want to start by talking to your bank. Banks here sell all sorts of insurance and you should be able to at least get the details of whatever form of long-term care insurance they have on offer. Otherwise, talk to an agent who handles insurance for one of the large international companies (AXA, Allianz, Swiss Life, etc.). I find it useful to gather information from a number of sources before making any decisions on these things. Insurance here in France works differently from how it does in other countries (or so it seems) and you want to find a source (i.e. agent) who can explain things to you. Also, the quality of the agents can vary greatly from place to place.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thank you

Thanks, Bev and Sarah, for your responses.

You are right. We definitely had to show insurance in order to obtain the Long Stay Permit (I am not sure it is called a Visa). This insurance does include repatriation coverage.

Now I understand that it is highly unlikely that we will ever be recipients of the French health care system.

I agree with you, Bev. I think we need to research it quite thoroughly. I will start by asking the BNP Paribas representative who has offered to help us with any questions. I have also found several companies via a Google search that do offer this kind of care, but, as you recommend, I won't sign on the dotted line until I have a sense of the company's integrity, etc.

Thank you again for all the help you have given us through this Forum.

Maryanne

On the visa/carte de séjour issue - it depends on what sort of visa/carte de séjour you are currently on. Not sure exactly the distinction, but those who came to France to retire from outside the EU continue to have to show evidence of private insurance each year. Those with work privileges will eventually get cartes de residente. To get into the health care system, you need to be working and/or contributing to the social insurance system somehow.

On the insurance - you may want to start by talking to your bank. Banks here sell all sorts of insurance and you should be able to at least get the details of whatever form of long-term care insurance they have on offer. Otherwise, talk to an agent who handles insurance for one of the large international companies (AXA, Allianz, Swiss Life, etc.). I find it useful to gather information from a number of sources before making any decisions on these things. Insurance here in France works differently from how it does in other countries (or so it seems) and you want to find a source (i.e. agent) who can explain things to you. Also, the quality of the agents can vary greatly from place to place.
Cheers,
Bev

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.