Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Upon reading the info available from the Consulate General of France in L.A. it appears that US citizens can now apply for a Long Term Visitor Visa by mail. They do allow for the possibility that the Consulate does reserve the right to require a personal appearance if necessary. Have any recent US Expats experienced this process and if so...was the mail application acceptable or were you required to still make a personal appearance ? When you arrive in France with the Long Term Visitor Visa in tow, it is my understanding that within the first week or so, you should complete the OFII forms ..pay taxes...and remit both to the OFII office in your region. Is this done in person or via mail ? Finally...before getting the OFII approval it seems there may be a medical examination and/or home visit..what has been the experience new expats with this part of the procedure ? Thanks for all your great info....love the forum :love:

·
Administrator
50,457 Posts
If you have the type of visa that requires an OFII visit of some sort, what you do is to send your OFII form to your departemental OFII office on arrival in France (they say within a month or two, but basically, as soon as you get to your long-term address).

The OFII will then contact you (usually by mail) to set up an appointment where you pay your fees and have your medical exam (or at some OFII offices, arrange for your medical exam). For other types of visas, the procedure at the OFII appointment may be somewhat different, depending on the requirements of the type of visa.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
23 Posts
Scayuga,

I have just recently gone through the long stay visitors visa process in Houston. By recently I mean my in person appearance was this morning. I did not get an option to do the mail in process, but I can see some benefits and negatives about the mail in form. First off it would be nice for the obvious saving time and money by not having to travel to your locations consulate. However, during my in person interview I was able to explain one of the documents which they had not seen typed up in the format I recieved it in (non criminal activity certificate). So once I explained what it was he signed off on it and finished going through the documents. Now I am not saying he would have failed to recognize what the document was, but I did get to see how busy these guys are and how short of time they get to decide whether or not to approve a visa so it may be easier for them to just say no. As far as the OFII form goes I am only staying five months so the gentleman handed mine back and said that I did not need to do anything with it except to make sure I have it with me while I am in France ( it seems that anything shorter than 6 months you do not need to act on the OFII form). Hope this helps and if you have any other questions just ask away, this forum is a great place full of helpful people.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Leepster
Congrats on getting through the Long Term Visa process. It's weird that some of the consulates allow the mail application and others don't...as of now I think what we will do is mail in the info 3 months prior to leaving the US and then if there is an issue still have time to take the trip to LA for an in person interview. Was there anything in particular that we should look for concerning the non criminal activity certificate to avoid having the same potential issue as you saw ?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I don't think there would be any way to avoid the issue I ran into. The issue with the document they had was basically my city of residence called it a background check and no where on the document did it list itself as a non criminal record certificate so I think it can just vary document to document. I think if they are offering the option to mail it in that would be great. Also its amazing how things differ from one consulate to the other I noticed while doing all of my paperwork that some consulates require completely different documents than others. If you got any other questions just let me know. I will help with what I can.

·
Administrator
50,457 Posts
Leepster
Congrats on getting through the Long Term Visa process. It's weird that some of the consulates allow the mail application and others don't...as of now I think what we will do is mail in the info 3 months prior to leaving the US and then if there is an issue still have time to take the trip to LA for an in person interview. Was there anything in particular that we should look for concerning the non criminal activity certificate to avoid having the same potential issue as you saw ?
It's not particularly weird at all - one thing you'll have to get used to if you're coming to France to live is that local offices have a certain level of "discretion" regarding procedural issues. The OFII and even the prefectures operate differently from one departement to the next - and generally you MUST use the office in the departement where you reside, even if the next one over is closer to where you live.

As you might imagine, there are both advantages and disadvantages with this system. <g>
Cheers,
Bev

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.