Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been living in Paris on the Long Stay Visitor visa and it expires in July, 2012. I still have about 3-4 months left on the visa. I have the temporary carte de sejour stamped next to my visa on the passport as well. Now If I need to extend my visa for 1 more year then what is the process exactly? What forms do I need to fill, etc, and where do I get these ? I have no clue on the extension and thought it would be a simple process but I don't know.

Also if I have just a 6 month lease contract would that be sufficient to extend the visa? Or do I need to get exactly a 1 year lease contract? I have extended my medical insurance by 1 more year so that should not be a problem. Lastly, is it ok if I still keep most of my funds in my bank account overseas? Do I need to translate all documents in French for the extension? When I applied initially - it was very simple, all I did was get a 1 month lease contract + medical insurance for a year + submitted my proof of funds, tax returns, letter from accountant showing I earn enough money to live in France without being a dependent. My financial cicumstances are the same so I hope there won't be a problem but now I have to deal with the perfecture rather than the embassy and I have no clue how to go about it.

When do I need to apply exactly and in what Perfecture in Paris? Can I go to any perfecture and apply for the extension or is there a specific one??

I really need some help here, and I dont speak much french yet, will that be a problem applying for the extension? How long would they take to decide and if my visa expires while waiting for a decision then what happens??

Thanks a lot in advance.

·
Registered
22 Posts
The prefecture to go to is Prefecture de Police. You'll find more infos on the website (i cannot post direct url links yet) : 3w dot prefecturedepolice dot interieur dot gouv dot fr
There is a translation in english

·
Administrator
50,002 Posts
You don't actually extend your visa, but rather your "titre de séjour" - i.e. you apply for a carte de séjour in the two months before your current titre de séjour (that sticker in your passport) expires.

Easiest thing is to check the website for the prefecture de police for the arrondissement where you live, as Murielsa has suggested. They should list the requirements and the procedure. If not, visit the prefecture office and ask them how to apply for a carte de séjour. They should be able to give you a list of the documents required.
Cheers,
Bev

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Merci Beaucoup!!!

Bev, would you know how the apartment lease works in this case now? I have been getting short term contracts so far and renewing them - so if I only have a 3 or 6 month lease would I still be able to get the extension for a year? Or do I specifically need to get a 1 year lease? Unfortunately this is the biggest headache - securing a long term apartment lease in France for a foreigner especially if you dont have income in France or a guarantor - no one gives it to you. Let me know....thanks a lot!!!

·
Administrator
50,002 Posts
Apartment leases depend more on whether the flat is furnished or not. An unfurnished flat normally rents on a three-year lease (with provisions in the contract for moving out as long as you give appropriate notice).
Cheers,
Bev

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.