Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello France lovers,

I have a few questions regarding the long stay visitor visa application/appointment process. We are in the Miami consulate region if that make any difference.

Ok, on to my questions:

1. On the consulate website there is a question "status in the US", what are they looking for? we are all US citizens although my wife was naturalized, originally from Ukraine. Are they looking for passports or a statement or both?

2. Letter of employment in the US stating occupation and earnings. Is this just something I craft up stating what i do, where i do it and how much i earn? Obviously I will show bank statements and paystubs. Or is this from my employer (who i haven't told yet)?

3. My wife and daughter will also be going with me to France. Do they need to be at the interview? I see I need to bring a marriage certificate and a birth certificate (for accompanying children) but it doesn't say they need to be with me at the interview.

4. There is no question that i could find asking for a "Reason we want the visa". will this be asked during our appointment? Does anyone have experience at the Miami consulate?

Our appt. is April 6

Thanks for the help, its really appreciated!

·
Administrator
50,006 Posts
With luck, someone who has dealt with the Miami consulate will chime in here, but in general:

1. On the consulate website there is a question "status in the US", what are they looking for? we are all US citizens although my wife was naturalized, originally from Ukraine. Are they looking for passports or a statement or both?
Sounds like you are both US citizens. That's all they need to start with. Passports will verify that, but your wife should bring her naturalization papers for the appointment at the consulate - just in case they ask about them.

2. Letter of employment in the US stating occupation and earnings. Is this just something I craft up stating what i do, where i do it and how much i earn? Obviously I will show bank statements and paystubs. Or is this from my employer (who i haven't told yet)?
I think they want a letter from your employer. What sort of visa are you going for? If you'll be working in France, they need the sponsorship information from your French employer. If you are going over on a non-working visa, they want corroboration of your US employment, especially if you say you'll be returning to the US after your stay in France.

3. My wife and daughter will also be going with me to France. Do they need to be at the interview? I see I need to bring a marriage certificate and a birth certificate (for accompanying children) but it doesn't say they need to be with me at the interview.
If they need visas to live in France, then they need to be present at the interview. Each person gets their own visa - what kind depends on the exact circumstances. Will they be going as your dependents? Or will they have their own status?

4. There is no question that i could find asking for a "Reason we want the visa". will this be asked during our appointment? Does anyone have experience at the Miami consulate?
I believe the visa application form has a question asking the purpose of your stay in France. Question 23 on the visa application form I found on the Miami consulate website: http://www.consulfrance-miami.org/IMG/pdf/visa-long-sejour-formulaire-fr-2010-2.pdf If you check "Autre" (French for "none of the above") you have to say what you plan to do while in France.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
With luck, someone who has dealt with the Miami consulate will chime in here, but in general:

Sounds like you are both US citizens. That's all they need to start with. Passports will verify that, but your wife should bring her naturalization papers for the appointment at the consulate - just in case they ask about them.
Thanks for mentioning this! I'll be sure to take it with a few copies

I think they want a letter from your employer. What sort of visa are you going for? If you'll be working in France, they need the sponsorship information from your French employer. If you are going over on a non-working visa, they want corroboration of your US employment, especially if you say you'll be returning to the US after your stay in France.

The visa is a long stay visitor visa, a non working visa, that is why I wonder what is required. In addition to my job (which i'm prepared to leave) I have my own U.S. based business that I intend to work on while we are over there. It is all internet related. Would love someone's input here.
If they need visas to live in France, then they need to be present at the interview. Each person gets their own visa - what kind depends on the exact circumstances. Will they be going as your dependents? Or will they have their own status?

They do need visas. They will be going as dependents. I'll contact the consulate for clarity on whether or not they need to be present and if they need their own forms.
I believe the visa application form has a question asking the purpose of your stay in France. Question 23 on the visa application form I found on the Miami consulate website: http://www.consulfrance-miami.org/IMG/pdf/visa-long-sejour-formulaire-fr-2010-2.pdf If you check "Autre" (French for "none of the above") you have to say what you plan to do while in France.
Maybe I was being naive, I would have chosen Etablissement privé/Visiteur (private/visitor)

Thank you for responding! It seems not many choose this visa on this forum?

·
Administrator
50,006 Posts
The long-stay visitor visa is used for a couple different types of stays. It is used by some consulates as a sort of substitute for a "fiancé visa." It is used for university faculty on sabbatical years abroad. It is also used by some consulates in the US for those wishing to come to France as "entrepreneurs" (i.e. to establish a business - either as an auto-entrepreneur or to set up a new business that might hire French nationals).

If you are planning on continuing your online business while you are living in France, you need to include that as part of your "financial resources" in your visa application. Technically, if you're physically present in France while doing work online, you're "working" in France and you may need to set up some form of business entity in France to handle payment of the cotisations and such.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
974 Posts
Because visas are biometric now, your children will probably have to go with you to get their fingerprints taken, unless I'm mistaken.

·
Administrator
50,006 Posts
From the Miami consulate's website:

2. Personal appearance

For security reasons, all applicants except children under the age of 6, have to appear personally at the Consulate General of France in Miami.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
550 Posts
I can't speak for the Miami consulate, but for the Chicago consulate, my children and I (being the spouse) needed our own application papers and our own interview slots. Technically, each person is applying for a visa. We all went in together, but required reservation of 5 time slots.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That makes sense. I have an email out to the consulate posing my questions. I'll report back their answers.
During your appointment, did they ask you why you wanted the long stay visitor visa?

thank you!

I can't speak for the Miami consulate, but for the Chicago consulate, my children and I (being the spouse) needed our own application papers and our own interview slots. Technically, each person is applying for a visa. We all went in together, but required reservation of 5 time slots.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.