Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Last year my wife and I (retirees) thought we were applying for long-stay visas, and we apparently made a mistake and only got one-year visas. So we are returning to the U.S. shortly to go through it again.

This year when we began the visa application process online, we received a list of required documents. That list included an OFII form (partially filled in).

Once we finished filling in the visa application, we got (1) a copy of the application to print (with a bar code), and (2) a new list of required documents (with the same bar code). The new list of required documents does not include an OFII form.

We are concerned that perhaps once again we did not fill in the visa form correctly to convey our intentions to stay in France for a lengthy period of time (i.e., more than a year).

In reviewing the form, we clearly checked the box that says more than one year. That is item 27 -- "Durée prévue du séjour sur le territoire de la France" -- and we marked "Supérieure à un an".

The only other place we think we might have made a mistake is item 23: "Je sollicite un visa pour le motif suivant :"

We marked: "Autre (Visiteur)"

We are wondering if we should have marked: "Établissement familial ou privé"

Can anyone shed some light for us? I have e-mailed VFS about this, with no luck so far.

Thanks.

·
Administrator
50,006 Posts
That should be correct - the etablissement familiale category is (if I'm not mistaken) for those joining family members already in France.

You used to be able to download the OFII form from the consulate website, but I don't see it there anymore. Assuming you still have to go into the VFS office for your "interview" I would ask there to make sure everything is "complete" before they send your dossier to Washington DC for processing.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That should be correct - the etablissement familiale category is (if I'm not mistaken) for those joining family members already in France.

You used to be able to download the OFII form from the consulate website, but I don't see it there anymore. Assuming you still have to go into the VFS office for your "interview" I would ask there to make sure everything is "complete" before they send your dossier to Washington DC for processing.
Thanks, Bev. That helps a lot.

In fact, I was able to download an OFII form from somewhere, and we will take them to the appointment.

I had heard, though, that there are new procedures for OFII, and it makes me wonder if perhaps we'll be given them at the appointment.

In any case, I will keep the group posted as we progress.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Last year my wife and I (retirees) thought we were applying for long-stay visas, and we apparently made a mistake and only got one-year visas. So we are returning to the U.S. shortly to go through it again.

This year when we began the visa application process online, we received a list of required documents. That list included an OFII form (partially filled in).

Once we finished filling in the visa application, we got (1) a copy of the application to print (with a bar code), and (2) a new list of required documents (with the same bar code). The new list of required documents does not include an OFII form.

We are concerned that perhaps once again we did not fill in the visa form correctly to convey our intentions to stay in France for a lengthy period of time (i.e., more than a year).

In reviewing the form, we clearly checked the box that says more than one year. That is item 27 -- "Durée prévue du séjour sur le territoire de la France" -- and we marked "Supérieure à un an".

The only other place we think we might have made a mistake is item 23: "Je sollicite un visa pour le motif suivant :"

We marked: "Autre (Visiteur)"

We are wondering if we should have marked: "Établissement familial ou privé"

Can anyone shed some light for us? I have e-mailed VFS about this, with no luck so far.

Thanks.
After reading your post I remembered this had happened to another member of this forum, here is the link to the thread:

https://www.expatforum.com/expats/f...iving-france/1452340-nightmare-continues.html

Perhaps you could send them a pm and compare notes to avoid the relevant authority issuing visas making the same mistake again . IIRC they are now back here in France after many cock ups and stress.

I hope it goes a bit more smoothly for you. :fingerscrossed: :)

Reactions: 95995 and rwjones

·
Registered
101 Posts
Just so I understand, are you saying you did not get the 'visa long sejour valant titre de sejour'?

Because from what I understand, all visitor visas are for one year, then you apply or renew your titre de sejour. So there is no visitor visa issued for longer than one year until after you've renewed several times (I believe after 5 years).

So did the visa you receive require you to go to OFII within the first 3 months and pay your tax and get a medical exam? I'm guessing not.

I got a one year visa but it is valant titre de sejour so I can renew here. In fact just this morning I made my appointment for the renewal. My visa/titre expires in October and I got an appointment for September.

However, I do remember the trials and tribulations of another person on this forum that did not get the visa they wanted. What a mess!

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just so I understand, are you saying you did not get the 'visa long sejour valant titre de sejour'?
Exactly. When we applied, there were three boxes to check for the duration of stay. I forget what the shortest duration was, but the second was for one year, and the third was for more than a year.

For some reason we were thinking that if we checked more than a year, it would imply an intent to immigrate. So we checked one year, thinking that we'd go down to the OFII and register and then renew after a year.

Well, it didn't work that way. Our visas were good for one year only. Each says, "Long Sejour Temporaire" and "Dispense Temporaire de Carte de Sejour", and they are Type D.

When the passports and visas arrived in the mail, there were no OFII forms. I contacted the French consulate, and they replied, "Oh, you don't get an OFII form with your type of visa."

And what irks me is that the consular official looked over our visa applications, then he looked at the OFII form we had brought, and proceeded to explain what we needed to do with the OFII form once we arrived in Paris. He spent quite a bit of time on that.

Anyway, water over the dam. With regard to this thread, we've learned that the OFII stuff is done electronically now, and so the fact that we don't have paper forms is moot.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,

The OFII procedure has recently (February I think) changed. The OFII application form doesn't exist anymore. Once you get your long stay visa VLSTS (valant titre de séjour), you have to register on a website (administration-etrangers-en-france.interieur.gouv.fr/particuliers)

The procedure is now all online, you don't have to send the OFII form per mail anymore. That could explain why it's not on the list of required visa documents.

Hope this helps,
Lawen

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi,

The OFII procedure has recently (February I think) changed. The OFII application form doesn't exist anymore. Once you get your long stay visa VLSTS (valant titre de séjour), you have to register on a website (administration-etrangers-en-france.interieur.gouv.fr/particuliers)

The procedure is now all online, you don't have to send the OFII form per mail anymore. That could explain why it's not on the list of required visa documents.

Hope this helps
That does help. Thanks. We had heard vague rumblings of the OFII being online now, but the VFS office did not answer my email about it, and I had two different documents -- just a few months apart -- with different requirements. I think we understand now.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hi,

Hope this helps,
Lawen
Hi Lawen86--
It sounds to me like you may have recently moved to France. My husband and I are going in September, and if you are from the US, I would like to hear about your VISA app experience. We have filled out our application online, but have to wait until June 10 to get our VFS Atlanta appointment. We are almost done getting our dossier in order.

Thanks, Nancy

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, sorry I'm not from the US. Not sure I can help ?

You can PM me if you like.
Lawen

Hi Lawen86--
It sounds to me like you may have recently moved to France. My husband and I are going in September, and if you are from the US, I would like to hear about your VISA app experience. We have filled out our application online, but have to wait until June 10 to get our VFS Atlanta appointment. We are almost done getting our dossier in order.

Thanks, Nancy

·
Administrator
50,006 Posts
Nancy, this is still (relatively speaking) early days in the transition from having the consulates handling the applications to going through the VLS service, so no matter what, "your mileage may vary." Then again, French administrative procedures of all kinds have a tendency to vary from one office to the next. Think of it as training for actually living in France. <g>

But there are a few reports here on the forum of recent interactions with VLS - and maybe we can encourage a few lurkers out of the shadows to share their experiences with us here.

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
And just a reminder that members need to have made 5 genuine posts (not post-padding) to be able to send or receive private messages.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Nancy, this is still (relatively speaking) early days in the transition from having the consulates handling the applications to going through the VLS service, so no matter what, "your mileage may vary." Then again, French administrative procedures of all kinds have a tendency to vary from one office to the next. Think of it as training for actually living in France. <g>

But there are a few reports here on the forum of recent interactions with VLS - and maybe we can encourage a few lurkers out of the shadows to share their experiences with us here.
Thanks Bev and everyone, I've learned much from reading through these posts--especially to check "more than 12 months" on the application and NOT "6-12 months"! !!!

We apply for our visa Monday in Atlanta--so excited to hurry up and wait.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Hi,

The same thing happened to us. I don't think you did anything "wrong". It was explained to me that the US Consulate can give a one year "temporary" or a one year "visiter" visa. Why I don't know - arbitrary upon looking at your documents.

We had to return to US and this time we were issued the visiter visa that we can renew here in France, which we are doing in the next couple weeks - still waiting for an appointment.

If I can be of any help, do not hesitate to pm me.

Karen

1 - 14 of 14 Posts