Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering how the long stay visa requiremnet letter not to engage in employment would affect me in the future if i decide to seek employment at a later time. I am currently applying to go to france for 3-6 months to visit my boyfriend. But, if things work out well with us, there is a possibility in the future i would need to seek a more long term option and find employment. I wouldnt want that letter to be used against me. Is it possible the letter could be used to deny a work visa in the future ?

Thanks for your help !

·
Administrator
49,443 Posts
Basically, if you are in France on a "visitor" visa, your titre de séjour (residence permit) states pretty plainly that you are NOT authorized to work. That, in and of itself, will pretty much rule out looking for work, as most legitimate employers won't even talk to you if you don't have "work papers."

The letter is pretty much a formality so that you can't claim later on that you "didn't realize" that you weren't allowed to work.

One small caveat: if you go over on a 6 month visa, that isn't renewable. So if you change your mind and decide to marry, you'll most likely have to return to the US to apply for the appropriate visa. On a one-year visa, you would have the possibility of changing your status on renewal of your carte de séjour (but generally, only if you're changing to a "spouse" status).
Cheers,
Bev

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.