Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
First of all I want to thank you for helping me and all the people in this forum . My case its to complicated .If you could help me I would be more than just thankful . So im going go start , I was born in Germany since my parents went over there during the war in Kosovo . After few years they decided to go back , I didnt get any German citizenship or something so I have a Kosovo citizenship . Anyway around 3 years ago I came in Usa with j-1 visa . The j-1 visa was just for 5 months . I had some issues back in my country Kosovo so I decided to apply for asylum in Us. Since then Im in assylum process. My wife is from France . So we decided to get married in Nyc so we can make all the papers ready so I can move to France . I got the livre de famile and acte de marriage but the problem seems to be my asylum case .On friday its my visa interview and one of the requirements for non-us citizens its prof of the visa (not the status that you are). I've already spoken to the interview officer and he told me thats not a problem but I think he didn't even Understood me what I was talking about (I guess) . Please if you can help me what should I do . I dont want my visa to get denied and even if that its not a issue how should I be prepaid for the interview, what kind of documents . ( Long-stay visa for spouse of French national ) .

Thank you again

·
Administrator
53,162 Posts
The "interview" for a spouse visa for France is actually pretty simple. OK, so you don't have a visa per se - but if you're in the asylum process for the US, just take with you whatever document or letter you have verifying that you are currently in process. All they really need to know is that you are legally resident in the US (which you are while your asylum claim is ongoing).

As long as you have your livret de famille and acte de mariage, it's almost automatic that you will get a spouse visa for France. Assume you have your wife's i.d. documents (carte d'identité) but other than that just bring along whatever is on the list plus whatever you have concerning your asylum request/status. The purpose of the "interview" is basically just to collect your documents, make sure they have all they need (bring the actual documents plus one or two copies - they check the copies against the originals and then keep only the copies). They only really need to determine that you are not a threat to public safety in France and that you're willing to learn French. But the spouse visa is really one of the easier ones to get once you have all the documents in place.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The "interview" for a spouse visa for France is actually pretty simple. OK, so you don't have a visa per se - but if you're in the asylum process for the US, just take with you whatever document or letter you have verifying that you are currently in process. All they really need to know is that you are legally resident in the US (which you are while your asylum claim is ongoing).

As long as you have your livret de famille and acte de mariage, it's almost automatic that you will get a spouse visa for France. Assume you have your wife's i.d. documents (carte d'identité) but other than that just bring along whatever is on the list plus whatever you have concerning your asylum request/status. The purpose of the "interview" is basically just to collect your documents, make sure they have all they need (bring the actual documents plus one or two copies - they check the copies against the originals and then keep only the copies). They only really need to determine that you are not a threat to public safety in France and that you're willing to learn French. But the spouse visa is really one of the easier ones to get once you have all the documents in place.
Cheers,
Bev
Thank you so much Bev , tomorow it's the appointment hope everything goes well any last suggestion?

Thank you again a lot much appreciates

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bev one last question before the "interview" tomorrow I quit job before 3 weeks. In the documents it was a question about the actually job . If I let it blank you think its going to be a problem?

Thank you

·
Administrator
53,162 Posts
If leaving it blank is a problem, they'll ask you about it. The purpose of the interview is mainly to make sure your paperwork is complete before they accept your dossier for processing. But as a spouse of a French national, the only reason they can refuse you the visa is if you post a threat to national security. (Which I trust you don't.)
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If leaving it blank is a problem, they'll ask you about it. The purpose of the interview is mainly to make sure your paperwork is complete before they accept your dossier for processing. But as a spouse of a French national, the only reason they can refuse you the visa is if you post a threat to national security. (Which I trust you don't.)
Cheers,
Bev
I just got the Visa today thank you so much for your help Bev

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi everyone

I moved to France like 3 weeks ago just got my confirmation from Offi I was wondering can I travel with the visa or do I need to wait for the offi appointment. I want to travel to my home country Kosovo.

Thank you

·
Administrator
53,162 Posts
It may depend on what sort of visa you're on. In any event, I would hang onto a copy of whatever confirmation you received (copy of e-mail message or copy of whatever letter they may have sent you).
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you bev

I got the long stay (vie priver et fam) Visa D . I have all the copies and congirmation from offi .

It may depend on what sort of visa you're on. In any event, I would hang onto a copy of whatever confirmation you received (copy of e-mail message or copy of whatever letter they may have sent you).
Cheers,
Bev

·
Administrator
53,162 Posts
I can't find anything definitive on the Service Public website on traveling outside of France while you're waiting for your OFII appointment (which is when your visa is validated and becomes your titre de séjour for the first year). We've recently had someone through here who was told they could not travel outside France while waiting for issuance of their first carte de séjour. However I think in that case if was someone married to a non-EU national who had a long-stay visa for France.

If you could hold on until you at least have your OFII appointment scheduled, but as the spouse of a French national, I don't think they can refuse you (re)entry to France. Or, you could contact the OFII to see if they can advise you on this.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I can't find anything definitive on the Service Public website on traveling outside of France while you're waiting for your OFII appointment (which is when your visa is validated and becomes your titre de séjour for the first year). We've recently had someone through here who was told they could not travel outside France while waiting for issuance of their first carte de séjour. However I think in that case if was someone married to a non-EU national who had a long-stay visa for France.

If you could hold on until you at least have your OFII appointment scheduled, but as the spouse of a French national, I don't think they can refuse you (re)entry to France. Or, you could contact the OFII to see if they can advise you on this.
Cheers,
Bev
Hmm thank u Bev , I think I found something about this I?m not sure if it?s related to my case but check this :

I hold a long-stay visa constituting a residence permit, but it has not yet been validated by the French Immigration and Integration Office (OFII).May I travel without having to apply for a new visa?
The long-stay visa constituting a residence permit allows travel under the following conditions:
within 3 months of your arrival in France, you may travel with this visa without further formalities (inside and outside the Schengen Area).
beyond the period of 3 months, you may only travel if the OFII sticker is affixed to your visa, failing which you must be in possession of the OFII certificate of application to travel outside France.
If you fail to carry out the OFII formalities within the prescribed time limit of 3 months, you must re-apply for a long-stay visa to the relevant French consulate in your country of residence.

Thank you Bev again

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hi there. While waiting for my OFII appt , I was able to travel to the UK. I am not sure abt Kosovo though but we were travelling by car and ferry so met some immigration officers who'd asked me abt my right to move in and out of the country (france) because some hadnt known abt this vie privee visa so I just explained abt the visa I've got. Safer to bring and show your appt paper for Ofii to the authorities when and if you're asked too.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah I was told the same that I can travel within 3 months of the arrival,but I got another issue now . I book a trip this week but my offi appointment arrived today ( can u belive it ) . All my appointments are scheduled for the 6 December that’s completely fine , but the Radiologique they put it on 30 November .The problem its I will be back 1 December. Its any way that I can reschedule the Radio one without rescheduling the other ones .

Thank u

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.