Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

My partner and I want to move back to France. He is Australian and I am French. We are planning to get married in Australia and then apply for the Long Stay Visa (Spouse of a French citizen).
I wanted to know if anyone went through this process and was able to give me information/tips on their experience?

Thank you very much for your help,

Juliette

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
Whist I do not have personal experience, you will need to liaise with the French Consulate in Sydney to ensure that your marriage is registered in France and that you receive your livret de famille, which will be essential for your husband's visa application. So, if you have not already done so, contact the Sydney Consulate and find out exactly what you need to do.

Cheers

·
Administrator
53,142 Posts
Generally speaking, you will need to obtain a French livret de famille before you can apply for a spouse visa. But according to all reports, the Sydney consulate seems to be particularly strict about the requirement that you must publish the banns prior to the marriage if you are planning to apply for the livret de famille (i.e. transcribing the marriage into the birth record of the French partner). The banns are fairly easy to deal with, as long as you know about the requirement. However, getting the livret de famille through the consulate can take "a few" months, depending on a number of things.

Start here: https://au.ambafrance.org/Mariage

Once you have the livret de famille, getting a spouse visa should be a fairly quick and painless process.
Cheers,
Bev

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.