Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bonjour à tous,

I have a question to pose about ...*drum roll*...potentially overstaying a visa! I searched around on this forum and found some good advice, but it seems that most folks who have posted were flying out of the Schengen zone via France, which is not the case for me.

I am currently an assistant de langue in French primary schools. I have a long-stay visa (travailleur temporaire) with an expiry date of May 19, 2014. Annoyingly, when I applied for my visa, I'd already purchased my plane tickets (long story, but the assistantship program in the US told us we'd get at least 30 extra days in France after our contracts). Anyway, my return flight to the United States is on May 22, 2014. I will fly from Paris to Copenhagen, and then Copenhagen to the United States. A few questions:

• Bearing in mind the connection within the Schengen zone, will I go through customs/receive an exit stamp at the Paris or Copenhagen airport?
  • If the latter (Copenhagen), I've read that Scandinavian countries are rather strict about overstaying visas. With that in mind, do you know if it'd be possible for me to extend my French visa just to cover those two days? Is it worth it, considering it's just two days?
  • Another option I've considered is going to England or Ireland--countries outside of the Schengen zone--to receive a new French/Schengen entry stamp upon returning and (hopefully) begin my 90-day tourist visa. Is this a viable option? Could I visit England/Ireland and return to France all before my visa expires (May 19, 2014) and still get that new French entry stamp?

Thanks so much for any information you can provide.

Kim

·
Registered
279 Posts
I'm going to officially leave this answer to Bev, however I do believe that there is something in place to prevent people from doing that. I think you have to remain out of France for 3 months before you may re-enter. Please tell me, if you don't mind sharing, what program you went through to get you job. Was it some kind of teaching exchange?

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
It seems that you have known about this all along. I believe you could go to a non-Schengen country then re-enter the Schengen zone - but US citizens should be able to confirm whether this is an option for you (I don't knowwhat is required for a US citizen to enter England or Ireland).

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
My post crossed with that of Softouch115 - I do not know about any requirement to remain outside France for 3 months.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cool--thanks, guys. @softouch115, yes, I knew about the visa timing discrepancy the whole time, but waited until after my OFII appointment to start fretting about it. I figured I wouldn't be able to do anything until completing those formalities anyway, so, here I am! The program is called (at least in the US) the Teaching Assistant Program in France (Teaching Assistant Program in France | French Culture).

I know Americans can freely enter England/Ireland as tourists (same as any EU country), but you bring up a good point about the 3-month period of being outside France. It's unclear whether that 3-month period applies to two consecutive 90-day tourist visas, or inbetween any types of visas (for example, my long-stay and then a 90-day tourist visa). Yay bureaucracy!

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
I have heard about the up to 30 days extra elsewhere but don't now how it actually works. Why not go into the Prefecture and ask? Aren't you just transiting Copenhagen (or are you spending days there)? If so, it's not likely they'll worry about you and stop you boarding your onward flight - as opposed to staying in Copenhagen.

·
Administrator
50,006 Posts
I'm not certain whether you'll have to clear immigration in Denmark - and I suspect it has to do with how your connection is organized. (Like, if you have to change terminals, or just walk down the hall to the next gate.)

I don't think you're required to leave the Schengen area for 90 days on conclusion of a long-stay visa. If you're concerned, make a run up to the UK for a weekend or other short stay. Just make sure to get your passport stamped on your return to France. (Last few times I took the Eurostar to London, there was no border clearance after arrival in France.)
Cheers,
Bev

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.