Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife has to present a long stay visa application even though I am applying for a competences et talents visa. I have seen people here talking about being asked for the state and federal criminal reports and my concern is that nowhere on the NY consulate site does it say anything (in English or in French) about providing criminal reports. I just don't see how there is anything providing sufficient reason to believe these will be necessary but I then see other people saying they were requested.

Any thoughts on this?
Thanks!

·
Registered
974 Posts
Not that it's really indicative of the requirements at the NY consulate, but on the Sydney consulate site it is required:
Long Stay Visitor visa - La France en Australie

The consulates are known to have variations, but for something like a police check it seems strange that it would be asked for at one consulate and not another - maybe someone who has applied for this visa in NY can enlighten us.

·
Administrator
49,988 Posts
FWIW, I haven't seen the American consulates ask for a police report for any visa application. In the US this would normally be the standard FBI background check (which is a bit of a joke, anyhow, as theoretically they check your fingerprints against all their records). Perhaps it's easier in Australia to get this sort of police report and that's why it's required.

Basically, if they aren't asking for it, I wouldn't worry about having it beforehand. They can always ask you for additional paperwork at the interview - and of course have to give you a little bit of time to obtain it. I would bring support for any of the documents you have been asked to bring with you - a few extra bank statements, stuff like that - but if the site doesn't ask for the police clearance, don't go to any great expense or effort until you are asked for it. (The FBI clearance costs $18 or $20 and takes 6 weeks or so to get.)
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
974 Posts
That's probably the case Bev. A standard police check here is just a name check: no fingerprints, done by mail, quick and easy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.