Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

Im currently living in France with a long stay visa, type D. However I was looking into changing cities and getting a different job, I was wondering if anyone knew what the process for this was? My VISA does not expire until April, would I be able to just move and take up a new job, or would that limit me from getting a visa in the future?

Thanks!

·
Administrator
49,988 Posts
Big question is: what does your carte (or titre) de séjour say about the subject? If your work is limited to your current employer, you can't change jobs without getting the new employer to sponsor a new visa for you. If the titre de séjour says that you're eligible to work "in all jobs anywhere in France" then you're fine.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey,
Thank you for the quick response. I am having difficult locating where I can find that information? Is this something I will receive after my OFII forms have gone through? I still have not gone for the medical examination.

I got a job as a language assistant in France. However had no choice in the city I was placed, and was looking to move elsewhere.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
184 Posts
If you're in France as part of the teaching assistant program, your visa is good only for that program. You can't change jobs or even change schools.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well that is quite unfortunate. Do you know what the process would be to get another job in another city? What would I have to apply for and go through?

·
Registered
184 Posts
To get another job, you would have to find a company to sponsor you a work visa, which involves them proving that they couldn't find a French or EU citizen to do the job, as well as paying to get all the paperwork processed. It is not a particularly easy process and few companies are interested in it. Your best bet is to look for employment with large international companies that likely have experience with the process.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Would you by chance know of any companies that are familiar with this process? Companies that I could apply to. I just finished my university degree in International relations and psychology, I don't know if that would help.

By the way, I really appreciate your help!

·
Registered
184 Posts
I'm just a random person on a message board who happens to have experience with work visas, I can't find you a job. With current unemployment rates for young people, it's hard for French young graduates to find jobs and if you as a foreigner want to find one you're going to have to work that much harder at your job hunt. One of the reasons the teaching assistant program is so popular is that it's one of the few relatively easy ways for non-eu young people to work in France.

·
Administrator
49,988 Posts
As a new graduate with no work experience in your field, your chances of finding something in France are slim to non-existent. (Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but that's the way it is.)

Probably one of the best things you could do is to stick out your teaching assistant gig. Having "international experience" on your resume will give you a bit more weight on your resume - and in the long run it should be somewhat "easier" (these things are always relative) to find a job back home with some sort of international aspect to it. After a few years of solid experience, it may be possible to transfer to France (particularly if you've done some business travel to France in the meantime and made use of your language and cultural skills). A transfer within a large, international company is usually MUCH easier than going for a job (and a visa) on your own.
Cheers,
Bev

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.