Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of this is confusing, so I am looking for someone that has filled it out before.

For this question, I am already married to a french citizen. We were married in the United States 5 years ago and we are now moving to France to live.

Line 23. I request a visa for the following purpose:

Family Stay
Private Stay/Visitor
Marriage
Other

24. Name, Address, email and telephone number in France of inviting employer / host institution / family member, etc.

Here I am thinking I just need my wife's information but she has no address and phone number in France yet since she is going with me.

31. Are members of your family resident in France?

Now I personally do not have any family member, but are they also asking for all family members that are family through marriage? Like my wife's kids and her brother and sisters, etc?

·
Administrator
50,421 Posts
If you are married to a French national, you should be going for a spouse visa. I think that makes the answer to question 23 "marriage" - however, to do that you need to have a livret de famille (the French marriage and family document).

That makes question 24 more or less irrelevant, though they probably expect you to have some sort of "residence" in France, if only a mailing address for the initial weeks/months. Where are you and your wife planning on staying on arrival?

As far as question 31 is concerned, you can always indicate "wife's family" (as long as they are in France).

But the key thing is, do you have the livret de famille? Because with that, the application for a visa becomes very nearly automatic. (Though getting the livret can take a bit of time.)
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, we got the livret de famille first thing after we were married and from the same embassy. We have it in our files of papers to take with us to the appointment (once we make the appointment!)

We sold the house. Home sale closes the 19 of June. Timing is going to be tricky I guess. I know I have to buy the tickets before the appointment. How far in advance do you think I realistically need? We would like to leave around the middle of July. The French embassy site says "could take 21 days". But it does not say if it's 21 business days or just days.

As you know, a house is never really sold until you have cash in hand. So I'm think I will buy the tickets June 18 or 19.

·
Administrator
50,421 Posts
A spouse visa shouldn't take too long - maybe a week or two. Except that you're going to be right in the high summer season, when the consulate personnel observe both US and French holidays. That could work in your favor, however, with everyone trying to finish things up before they leave for their month of vacation.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
380 Posts
Yes, we got the livret de famille first thing after we were married and from the same embassy. We have it in our files of papers to take with us to the appointment (once we make the appointment!)

We sold the house. Home sale closes the 19 of June. Timing is going to be tricky I guess. I know I have to buy the tickets before the appointment. How far in advance do you think I realistically need? We would like to leave around the middle of July. The French embassy site says "could take 21 days". But it does not say if it's 21 business days or just days.

As you know, a house is never really sold until you have cash in hand. So I'm think I will buy the tickets June 18 or 19.
Which consulate will you be going to?
I thought that with the livret de famille it can't be older than 2 months when presenting to a consulate, or is this rule only for those just recently married...??

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
San Francisco.

I think you have to apply for "Livret de Famille" within two months of marriage which we actually did immediately and received it. We even read through the booklet today and placed it in the folder to take to our appointment.

It just proves, from what I understand, that the marriage is recognized and registered in France. I don't believe there is any time limit-expiration on the document.

·
Registered
380 Posts
San Francisco.

I think you have to apply for "Livret de Famille" within two months of marriage which we actually did immediately and received it. We even read through the booklet today and placed it in the folder to take to our appointment.

It just proves, from what I understand, that the marriage is recognized and registered in France. I don't believe there is any time limit-expiration on the document.
Ah okay!! I was wondering if it was just a weird way they put the information on my consulate (DC) site. I kept thinking, "why do these documents have to be no older than 2 months when presenting them?" Does the SF consulate ask for the marriage certificate too?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes and that I think I might have to request a new copy that is more recently stamped. I don't know why they want a recent date on so many documents.

·
Administrator
50,421 Posts
The "simple" answer on the dating of the documents is that in France, they actually update your birth record (and some other documents) for subsequent events. They update a French birth record for marriage, divorce and the death of the person. And for some strange reason, French administrative protocol just assumes that other countries do the same. So that's why they ask for "recent" documents - usually just for a birth certificate or the various certifications you get at the local mairie to prove your family status.

The Livret de Famille, however, is one of those documents you keep forever (along with all your payslips). You should update it when you have kids, but other than that, it's your "A ticket" when it comes to proof of your marriage. (OTOH, they do want to make sure you haven't gotten divorced in the meantime, hence requesting the certification of your family status from the mairie.)

Welcome to France!
Cheers,
Bev

1 - 9 of 9 Posts