Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
I once travelled nearly 15 feet to the fridge, because I liked what was in there....

·
Registered
301 Posts
I've literally just booked our flights across the Atlantic to Valencia for late Sept!

We're planning on spending a few days in Valencia before heading to Alicante, Javea, Denia, Altea and Jalon valley to check out 'retiring' there..
We're initally planning on spending just over 3 weeks in the area as we want a week in Barcelona before doing the family visit thing in the UK..

In to Valencia and out of Heathrow.... :plane:
Perhaps the Monarch butterflies should hitch a ride :D

·
Registered
17,566 Posts
And the butterflies probably arrive on time, the last few times I have been at an airport the arrival boards have invariably showed Monarch flights arriving several hours late :D:D

·
Registered
301 Posts
And the butterflies probably arrive on time, the last few times I have been at an airport the arrival boards have invariably showed Monarch flights arriving several hours late :D:D
Wow, Monach Airlines are still going...
I had difficulty getting a flight into Spain using Air Canada / Star alliance partner (wanted to use some of our aeroplan miles) I discovered why ~ Spanair has gone under.. No wonder our routing takes us 'via'Zurich ! Trying to get to Alicante took us Via Oslo and no availability anywhere near the dates we were trying for. Lets hope they can partner up with another Spanish airline soon.. Is there any other Spanish airling other than Iberia out there?

·
Registered
7,083 Posts
OK, probably daft question: on what do they feed and how do they rest, do you know?
These butterflies are pretty amazing but - rest? They are mere girls up to the real heroes of endurance flying

Once they leave the nest Swifts don't land for three years, feeding and sleeping on the wing.

They can cover 250,000 miles a year.

The Swifts and Swallows and Martins (to which they are not closely related) will be back in the village soon showing off their amazing flying abilities.

·
Registered
15,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The Swifts and Swallows and Martins (to which they are not closely related) will be back in the village soon showing off their amazing flying abilities.
Martins and swallows arrived in Alcalá about a month ago. We obviously have superior accommodation to Jimena (i.e. more derelict buildings!) Swifts come a bit later.

·
Registered
7,083 Posts
Martins and swallows arrived in Alcalá about a month ago. We obviously have superior accommodation to Jimena (i.e. more derelict buildings!) Swifts come a bit later.
I saw the first one today - yours are much earlier. I love to see them but I hope they don't rebuild their nest above my terrace and **** on my tables again this year.

·
Registered
15,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I saw the first one today - yours are much earlier. I love to see them but I hope they don't rebuild their nest above my terrace and **** on my tables again this year.
Apparently if you hang Abba and Bananarama CDs on the eaves, they will leave you alone.

(Now I'm trying to think of that song by the Housemartins) :)

·
Registered
301 Posts
We have a nesting box for a pair of swallows on the covered part of our deck, it's a great to watch them.. Mum & Dad get quite brazen swooping within a inch of our heads and up into the box to feed the young. It's great to watch the fledglings summon up the courage for their first flight... These ones are very clean and thankfully we don't have any mess to clean up!

Now the Mud swallows as they are called in this neck of the woods..(barn or house martins) are another matter, after weeks of trying to discourage a pair from nesting in our breezeway between house and garage... by using a hose every time they came near ( from garage door ~ 2 steps ~ side door into Laundry room) We finally let them nest..
Actually had no choice, they were persistant little beggars.. we'd come home from work and they had rebuilt what we had destroyed.. We felt sorry for them in the end..
Our cats go nuts watching from the window as the young get bigger and mum & dad fly in and out feeding the brood..

We on the other hand have a daily clean up to do..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts