·
Registered
U.K.
9,103 Posts
I think you'll find many terry"got it right in the U.K., including this lot

As Mrs Thatcher once said

They have to get lucky once, we have to be lucky all the time
As aside but on topic.. kind of

Watching Sky news ( Dad watches a lot of sky news:rolleyes:)

Sky just interviewed a woman who was on a train that was behind the train that the device was on, they interviewed a woman who lived three streets away, they spent the day at the site, explaining to us stupid people that nothing was happening.

·
Banned
81 Posts
There are around 3k suspected terrorists on the U.K's Security Services watchlist, this costs millions and stretches the already overstretched Security Organisations. Surely its about time we play hardball and round them up and either deport or detain them? This would ease the pressure on the Services and make them even more effective.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I think you'll find many terry"got it right in the U.K., including this lot

As Mrs Thatcher once said

I lost the quote, "They only have to get lucky once" Was not actually made by Thatcher but it was part of the IRA statement after the Brighton bombing.

IRA statement Edit
The IRA claimed responsibility the next day, and said that it would try again. Its statement read:

Mrs. Thatcher will now realise that Britain cannot occupy our country and torture our prisoners and shoot our people in their own streets and get away with it. Today we were unlucky, but remember we only have to be lucky once. You will have to be lucky always. Give Ireland peace and there will be no more war.[11]

Parsons Green was one of the stations I managed for quite a number of years up until about five years ago......It really could have been a lot worse as it is a very busy commuter station.

·
Registered
U.K.
9,103 Posts
I lost the quote, "They only have to get lucky once" Was not actually made by Thatcher but it was part of the IRA statement after the Brighton bombing.

IRA statement Edit
The IRA claimed responsibility the next day, and said that it would try again. Its statement read:

Mrs. Thatcher will now realise that Britain cannot occupy our country and torture our prisoners and shoot our people in their own streets and get away with it. Today we were unlucky, but remember we only have to be lucky once. You will have to be lucky always. Give Ireland peace and there will be no more war.[11]

Parsons Green was one of the stations I managed for quite a number of years up until about five years ago......It really could have been a lot worse as it is a very busy commuter station.

Apologies. I always thought that quote was assigned to her..... t

Worrying times, be very apprehensive if i were living in a big city at the present time
Why? I'd be more worried about being in a car accident, mugged or scammed than a terrorist attack

·
Banned
18 Posts
Why? I'd be more worried about being in a car accident, mugged or scammed than a terrorist attack
Why? You ask. Possibly because the government have raised the threat level to "Critical" and another attack is immenent (yes its now been downgraded to "Severe") and seeing heavily armed Security Personnel kitted in black suits,full face helmets, balaclavas, Body armour and the like on the streets of London and many cities in Europe tends to make many of its inhabitants a tiny bit apprehensive. The fact that Goverments have taken these measures suggests they are also more than a bit nervous about this fluid and ever changing threat. Plus the fact that if you are caught up in this kind of incident it is totally out of your control. You can take measures to eleviate against being scammed, use good road sense to try and stay safe on the roads, many things that you can have at least a degree of control over maybe some more than others, however, if you are sitting in a bar having a drink and someone runs in shouting " Allahu Akbar" whilst stabbing people or in the case of Paris spraying bullets from a semi automatic rifle into a crowded concert hall and restaurant that you have no degree of control whatsoever.
I'm sure the parents and relatives and the wider friends and family of the 22 men, women and children who were slaughtered recently in Manchester will not in the least bit be worried about being scammed or mugged in the near future!

·
Registered
19,386 Posts

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well I suppose it could be considered lucky that on July 7th 2005 only 77 people were killed and 700 injured in the London tube bombing. .:confused:
Yes, clearly there have been many "successful" (from the attackers' point of view) attacks in the past.
Perhaps I wasn't clear enough, but I was referring to the spate of recent botched attempts to cause high levels of casualties and deaths which, due to ineptitude of the perpetrators, have resulted in a reduced effect, such as the Ramblas attackes which were designed to be several large van bombs (although any casualty is too much).

I wonder of the reduced efficiency of some recent attacks are down to the "fast track radicalisation" which we seem to be told is happening nowadays?

·
Registered
U.K.
9,103 Posts
Why? You ask. Possibly because the government have raised the threat level to "Critical" and another attack is immenent (yes its now been downgraded to "Severe") and seeing heavily armed Security Personnel kitted in black suits,full face helmets, balaclavas, Body armour and the like on the streets of London and many cities in Europe tends to make many of its inhabitants a tiny bit apprehensive. The fact that Goverments have taken these measures suggests they are also more than a bit nervous about this fluid and ever changing threat. Plus the fact that if you are caught up in this kind of incident it is totally out of your control. You can take measures to eleviate against being scammed, use good road sense to try and stay safe on the roads, many things that you can have at least a degree of control over maybe some more than others, however, if you are sitting in a bar having a drink and someone runs in shouting " Allahu Akbar" whilst stabbing people or in the case of Paris spraying bullets from a semi automatic rifle into a crowded concert hall and restaurant that you have no degree of control whatsoever.
I'm sure the parents and relatives and the wider friends and family of the 22 men, women and children who were slaughtered recently in Manchester will not in the least bit be worried about being scammed or mugged in the near future!
I am old enough to have lived and worked in the U.K. When the IRA had a regular bombing campaign. In Belfast we had the British army on the streets for manymany years, road blocks etc... life carried on

In France, in the last two years, there have been eight attacks, killing a total of 247 people. There are 66 million people in France. At the current level of activity, their odds of being killed in a terrorist attack in a given year are less than two ten-thousandths of one per cent. That’s 27 times lower than their odds of dying in a car accident.

Of course, those affected are fearful, and angry although I note many of those grieving and affected families, attended the concert last week in Manchester in an act of defiance, and I did not say they would not be affected so don't infer with sarcasm.

You said YOU would be very apprehensive and I asked why, not why someone who had lost their child would be

So, no, people in general are not VERY apprehensive, they get on with life, they get tubes, busses, they go shopping they go clubbing. Those caught up will change their habits , others as we have seen in the past will not. look at Barcelona, open for business the next day. They want us to have fear, apprehension but people are usually more resolute than that

As for the U.K. The following may enlighten those rushing around inciting fear.

Terror is killing far fewer people in the UK now than it was in the 1980s

Between 2000 and 2017, 126 people have been killed in the UK in terrorist attacks, according to figures from the Global Terrorism Database. Although not on British soil, a further 30 British people were killed in Tunisia when a gunman attacked a hotel popular among Western tourists.

This compares to 1,094 deaths in the 15-year period before that, between 1985 and 1999, and a further 2,211 between 1970 and 1984.

The worst year for terrorism-related deaths in the UK was 1988, when 372 people died. The majority of these died in the Lockerbie disaster, when 270 were killed as a Pan Am transatlantic flight was destroyed by a bomb.

Since 1970, Northern Ireland has seen the most terrorism-related deaths out of any nation in the UK, with IRA-related terrorism plaguing the nation for decades.

1972 saw the peak of this violence, with 353 people killed in Northern Ireland - out of a total of 368 in the whole of the UK.
Now, if you lived in Bagdad or Syria.... yep live your life in aprehensión

How many people are killed by terrorist attacks in the UK?

·
Banned
31 Posts
I am old enough to have lived and worked in the U.K. When the IRA had a regular bombing campaign. In Belfast we had the British army on the streets for manymany years, road blocks etc... life carried on

[/url]
Maybe it was different in Belfast, however, I remember it well as I ran pubs in and around London and was a relief manager during the mid 70's, people on the mainland were scared and trade in pubs in major cities such as Birmingham, Leeds, etc was down, in some cases by 80%, the West End was like a ghost town at night.......yes life carried on but by no way as normal as you infer. People were most definitely nervous and intimidated by the situation

·
Registered
15,733 Posts
Yes, clearly there have been many "successful" (from the attackers' point of view) attacks in the past.
Perhaps I wasn't clear enough, but I was referring to the spate of recent botched attempts to cause high levels of casualties and deaths which, due to ineptitude of the perpetrators, have resulted in a reduced effect, such as the Ramblas attackes which were designed to be several large van bombs (although any casualty is too much).

I wonder of the reduced efficiency of some recent attacks are down to the "fast track radicalisation" which we seem to be told is happening nowadays?
Yes I think it probably is. Some expert on the radio this morning was saying that as ISIS is losing ground in Syria and Iraq it's concentrating its efforts on radicalising naive and idealistic youngsters in Europe. Rather than locking up every Muslim male under 25 in case they are potential terrorists it makes sense to focus our efforts on the social media campaigns they use. That would mean the rest of us losing privacy rights but I am reluctantly accepting that this is necessary.

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
I am sure many who travel by tube are apprehensive but if they work they don't have much choice to travel around London quickly. Not defiance. It is impossible to secure the Underground, due to numbers they can't search everyone, many have luggage, backpacks etc. Putting armed Police on the streets is just PR they should be at tube and rail stations in plain clothes observing not posing for photos with the public. There are armed Police in the flower market at Nice but it didn't prevent the massive death toll on the promenade.

I am in London today. I shall take a pleasant walk up Victoria st. Pop in a few shops on the way. Time is on my side.

1 - 20 of 114 Posts