Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't quite made it through all the threads so I do apologize if I'm asking a question that's already been asked.
I'm actually English but after 10 years abroad- 7 of which in Los Angeles- I feel more like an American moving to the UK than a Brit. I'm 25, moving back to the UK to be closer to family. Family live up north in a rural setting, definitely not somewhere I could live again. Looking at Manchester but loved the diversity of London (also have friends there) and so would ideally like to be there.
My question is, what would be some good neighborhoods for a 26yr. Old single female to live? In LA I live in West Hollywood. I want somewhere central, safe but with nightlife/cafe culture etc. Purchase budget would be between $300-$400k but can't do studios as I would be bringing my two cats.

Thank you,

Tori

·
Super Moderator
18,065 Posts
Do you mean per week or per month? If you are talking per month then you haven't got a chance of finding anything in London which is 659 square miles to put things in perspective for you. London rents are quoted weekly and even if you are talking per week, your chances of finding a 1 bedroom flat in the outer edges are pretty slim plus you should expect to pay a little extra or a bigger deposit because of the cats.

To live in the most central a desirable parts of London in places like Marylebone, Kensington, South Kensington will cost you at least £525/week. Moving farther out to Zone 3 to Chiswick which is a nice area will cost your at least £350/week.

·
Super Moderator
5,181 Posts
West Kensington (Zone 2) housing prices might be affordable for you.

1 bed flats that are close-ish (walking distance) to Barons Court/West Ken Tube Stations (District Line) are running in the £300-£400k region. Whilst it's not Pimlico-Belgravia-Westminster central, West Kensington/Baron's Court/Hammersmith isn't in the middle of nowhere either... there's good transport options (a number of busses travel from Central London towards Kensington High Street/Hammersmith Road to the north and Fulham Broadway to the south) and lots of black cabs as well.

Have a look on Right Move and Zoopla for an indication of what sale and rental prices are like in the various area(s) you're considering moving to.

Good luck and welcome home! :)

Reactions: jamespang

·
Registered
446 Posts
Chiswick is really nice! Richmond perhaps?
You're looking to buy I presume...
Websites like Rightmove or Zoopla may offer you some insight into the property market.

·
Super Moderator
18,065 Posts
I didn't catch the k after your numbers so didn't realize that you are looking to buy. Do you mean dollars or pounds? If you mean dollars, that's about £187,000 to £250,000 and you'll be limited to the outer edges of London in Zone 5 and beyond. If you mean pounds, you'll have some choices in Zone 2 or 3.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Will there have a significant difference of facilities, "availability of shops/businesses" and amenities between zone 2 and zone 3? Just some question that popped up when reading this thread. I only managed to understand that zone 2 and zone 3 are considered pretty centralised zones apart from zone 1.

·
Registered
74 Posts
A friend of mine just bought a similarly priced flat to your budget, really quite small, but not a studio, on the Isle of Dogs (don't be put off by the name!) It's right on the water, opposite Greenwich, (SE3 ish I guess). I know many who live round there and love it. So you could consider the docklands area.

We're looking at forking out £400k for a 1 bed in SW11 (Battersea). Ick. But I highly recommend the neighbourhood.

- I should say - I'm 26 too (though husband a bit older) so my friends are all similar in terms of age and temperament ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.