Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I don’t really know where to begin considering it is a forum. Well, i’m currently in the process of moving to Dubai in the next couple of weeks, so far i’ve been ‘okay’ in my organising and getting myself together to move.

I’m currently looking for apartments and my budget bracket is 27,000 AED maximum, is there anywhere quite (dare i say) trendy, city life like that i will be able to find around this pay packet. Following the conversation i had with my recruiter she said that its ‘NORMAL’ for people to pay from 35,000-60,000 in the area... This to me for someone Young & Single is a lot. But i don’t know anything yet.

And then there are the other things to think about buying furniture, theres an IKEA:clap2: so thats saved me :) and like the social life, is everyone open to meeting new people or is it very closeknit and clique types i will find.

Can someone advice me.. anyone in my position or who has been in my position?

Let me know x

·
Registered
84 Posts
hello, dare I ask where you will be working? Is it Deira or Downtown Dubai? This will make a huge difference. I've just been in Dubai for about 20 days.. Have worked in the UK and London before relocating to Dubai and found this city an amazing place.. at least I quite like it. I was expecting to pay around 400 quid a month (just like a room in london zone 2, or zone 3) but it can be quite difficult to find to be honest.. to start with, if you want to save money and familiarise yourself with the place, you can live with someone, that is to share a room with another person (a girl) and then if you don't like it, change it to a one bedroom studio. Of course, you can find a one person studio with everything in it but it will definitely be well over your budget (will be around 600 pounds a month I think)
Hope this helps!

·
Banned
423 Posts
Hey welcome to the bored...

27,000, do you mean per year for rent? Or is that your monthly salary?

Have a look at some of the older (3-4 years) apartments in Marina or JLT (just opposite Marina) on Dubizzle Dubai | Residential Properties for Rent in Dubai always a good place to start.

Because there are so many expats, then yes most people are very open.... (in fact you'll probably get a few creepy replies on here too).

Meeting people is probably the least of your troubles, where will you be based, cos that will depend on where you stay, will you have a car or use the Metro, again that depends on where you will stay.

Best advice is that your company put you up in a serviced apartment for 2 months while you get your visa sorted and find your way around.

Good luck!

Edited to add, the creepy replies have already started!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@thinklink- i’m working for a Fashion magazine company out in Dubai. The company is based (if i’m not mistaken) near the mall, dubai mall. their headoffice is in the Burj building but i won’t be working there. Are you living with someone?, whats the nightlife like, i’m not the biggest biggest partygoer but i’m no hermit either. Let me know x

@ Toon- 27,000 a year, i was advised to look at Shared apartment villas but to be honest, i don’t want to go through sharing. Maybe its just the fact that i’ve lived with my family and then having to move somewhere else and live with other people and get used to their homely habits, i’m not quite ready for , just yet (highly enthusiastic ocd) and i much prefer to live alone. i think, i may change my mind when i’m actually out there to see what my options are.

thank you guys x

·
Banned
423 Posts
27,000AED a year? So 2,250 a month? Are you sure? That's like poverty money, less than £380/month. I'll tell you now, no way can you survive on that. Can't be done. The absolute minimum (and this will still be tricky) is 10,000 a month.
Working in fashion isn't always the richest option - unless you're Naomi I guess but you really, really don't want to be even thinking about it, £380 is a weekend out, or a day at a posh beach pool with lunch and a drink or two.

·
Banned
423 Posts
Just to add, IPC (magazine publishers), their sales teams (I don't know what you do), but they start on over AED20,000 a month.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Just to back up what Toon says, you really are going to struggle finding somewhere for that money.

A friend of a friend of a friend etc has a lodger and they pay around 35k just for a room (no lodgings or use of the house) in one of the outer 'burbs.

You may get lucky on Dubizzle. Avoid anything that mentions 'partitions' though ;)

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
27,000AED a year? So 2,250 a month? Are you sure? That's like poverty money, less than £380/month
Nonsense. Several people live with 1500 AED per month for accommodation.

You can find a place to live with that budget (2250AED) provided that you are ok having roommates. There are several ads at dubizzle.com have a look at it.

If you want to live in fancy areas (sharing), ask 36K AED because sharing can go as high as 3000-3500 AED monthly. In these fancy areas you are looking at sharing with 3 persons in total.

Rent is cheap is some parts of town.

The other thing that you can do is ask your employer that you want to live alone and if they can help you on that. some companies have PR/ HR people that do that.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts

You can find a place to live with that budget (2250AED) provided that you are ok having roommates. There are several ads at dubizzle.com have a look at it.

If you want to live in fancy areas (sharing), ask 36K AED because sharing can go as high as 3000-3500 AED monthly. In these fancy areas you are looking at sharing with 3 persons in total.

The other thing that you can do is ask your employer that you want to live alone and if they can help you on that. some companies have PR/ HR people that do that.
i think the OP preferred to have an apt of her own, so 27k would definitely be too low unless its some place in Intl city

·
Banned
423 Posts

She's coming on her own, wants to live alone, comes from London, works in fashion.

I stand by my original post, she'd have a miserable time on £380 a month all in.

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
She's coming on her own, wants to live alone, comes from London, works in fashion.

I stand by my original post, she'd have a miserable time on £380 a month all in.
I think (hope) the 27k is her annual housing allowance. She'll have her salary on top of that which she'll need to dip into if she wants to live somewhere decent. Might get a studio in Al Barsha or Discovery Gardens but that's about it.

·
Premium Member
10,204 Posts
@ The OP: In addition to Gavtek's suggestion, you can also look at Al Nahda or Ghusais for apartments and might be able to find a place of your own. Although, those areas are not the most recommended, you will be living on the border of Sharjah and away from nightlife, western people, etc. It's got more of a Subcontinental population.

@ Canuck: Before calling someone else's post "Nonsense", may I please ask you to read the entire thread and then post. It's quite annoying when people just post something that doesn't make any sense at all and then have the audacity to call someone else's suggestion "Nonsense". The OP had already mentioned that she would like to live alone and not share an apartment and you go ahead and offer her suggestions of sharing 3 to an apartment. Really, who's talking nonsense now?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello,

I would suggest to have a clear picture in your mind....for below points:
27000 AED per year can not be salary for someone working in Fashion magazine, so clarify this point that its your budget for rent....right?

Have a check on your total expenditures which may be more than your salaries...which may include :
1. Driving classes/ License fee (if applicable for your license, then 5000 AED)
2. DEWA charges (Dubai electricity & Water Authority) with Chiller charges (~800 AED per month)
3. Internet/ TV/ phone charges (~450AED per month)
4. Mobile I believe should be paid by company
5. Food is depending on your choice of cuisine and if you shall cook or not
6. Commutation (Metro cost around 10-12AED per day), forget taxis..its really expensive (min is 10AED).
7. Clubbing can be costly, though lot of clubs have free ladies entry and offer free drinks too

In Dubai, lot of things to spend money on.....depends on your choice and budget.
Hope this may help.......btw, Marina area has no Chiller charges, JLT has Chiller charges.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Okay, I DON’T EARN 27,000 a year, i’ll be earning 9,000. What and where should i be looking for apartment wise. You’ve misunderstood what i wrote and have near enough psyched me out of my opportunity out here. I’d prefer to live alone and as much i’ve considered roomates, i find that it might work out cheaper for me if i lived alone, although the apartments i’ve looked at are not furnished... in the longrun, i’m probably better off getting a studio and with time i’d buy my furniture to complete. rather than forkout heap amounts of money for things. i dunno, what do you guys think?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
sorry i earn *9,000 a month and the only thing they are paying for @djuae is for my accommodation whilst i await my visa. I already have a license here in the UK, i would need one for UAE? how much does that cost?. I haven’t even thought about driving yet. let me figure out my housing first.

·
Banned
88 Posts
pamela0810 said:
@ The OP: In addition to Gavtek's suggestion, you can also look at Al Nahda or Ghusais for apartments and might be able to find a place of your own. Although, those areas are not the most recommended, you will be living on the border of Sharjah and away from nightlife, western people, etc. It's got more of a Subcontinental population.

@ Canuck: Before calling someone else's post "Nonsense", may I please ask you to read the entire thread and then post. It's quite annoying when people just post something that doesn't make any sense at all and then have the audacity to call someone else's suggestion "Nonsense". The OP had already mentioned that she would like to live alone and not share an apartment and you go ahead and offer her suggestions of sharing 3 to an apartment. Really, who's talking nonsense now?
Pamela, I agree with you. But this is 2012 stop being a dictator.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Are apartments in Discovery Gardens ideal?. Am i better off renting with fully furnished, i find that i’m going to not incur costs in the long run if i rented fully furnished and was paying every month? no?.

Whats best for everyone?

·
Premium Member
10,204 Posts
Are apartments in Discovery Gardens ideal?. Am i better off renting with fully furnished, i find that i’m going to not incur costs in the long run if i rented fully furnished and was paying every month? no?.

Whats best for everyone?
Is AED 9,000/- a month your basic salary and are they paying you 27K a year over and above this salary? Have you read through the salary thread on this forum? 9K a month is quite low to be honest, you won't be saving any money once all the bills are paid.
I would suggest you take a long hard look at the offer that you have received and reconsider.

Discovery Gardens is not that bad if you don't mind being stuck in traffic and living among the subcontinental people. A lot of the Western expats prefer to live in places like The Marina, JBR, JLT, etc so not sure you will like it too much.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I’m going to be earning 9,000 a month. I was looking at apartments that are 27,000 a year to rent. According to my recruiters its a good start up taking into consideration that british expats spend up to 35,000-55,000 a year on rent. So its liveable money... a lot of my colleagues based here in London, earn the same and get taxed. I mean i guess its the same way.

1 - 20 of 122 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.