Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
So the law has been approved with a slight adjustment to the controversial article 24.

🤷‍♀️Anyone see red lights flashing or is it a necessary evil?

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
I strongly disagree with the content of this law and the timing of it
While the entire population is making the effort to follow the lockdown restrictions for the common good
and the govt are calling on national unity to preserve the health service,
just what are these idiots up to debating controversial stuff
that we're obliged to get out on the streets and demonstrate.

If the police & gendarmerie did their job according to the law and also visibly displayed their ID number as legally required, we wouldn't have to waste our precious time risking filming them all the time.

Didier Lallement as Paris pref de police has a lot to answer for regarding his methods.
Several complaints have been lodged against him for breaking the law.

Nothing in the security law about reforming the IGPN & IGGN (the authorities that investigate police wrongdoings).
A move to independence would have been welcome - as it is the flics judge themselves.

Last night's evacuation of the place de la Républic was shameful.
Ministre de l'intérieur Darmanin found the pictures "shocking" - but what about the migrants who have nowhere to spend the night - not a word - there'll be an inquiry.
There's always an inquiry

The result of Macron consistently relying on the police & gendarmerie to resolve French social problems - he's lost control of them and they already have a feeling of impunity but want even more.
This law was drafted by the main police union Alliance and will lead to more violent repression and authoritarism.

Last week a new law slipped into the package on "research" - that henceforth students occupying their university campus or amphitheatre risk a prison sentence of up to 3 years - just try protesting against inscription fees and you'll get gassed and flashballed

end of rant

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I strongly disagree with the content of this law and the timing of it
While the entire population is making the effort to follow the lockdown restrictions for the common good
and the govt are calling on national unity to preserve the health service,
just what are these idiots up to debating controversial stuff
that we're obliged to get out on the streets and demonstrate.

If the police & gendarmerie did their job according to the law and also visibly displayed their ID number as legally required, we wouldn't have to waste our precious time risking filming them all the time.

Didier Lallement as Paris pref de police has a lot to answer for regarding his methods.
Several complaints have been lodged against him for breaking the law.

Nothing in the security law about reforming the IGPN & IGGN (the authorities that investigate police wrongdoings).
A move to independence would have been welcome - as it is the flics judge themselves.

Last night's evacuation of the place de la Républic was shameful.
Ministre de l'intérieur Darmanin found the pictures "shocking" - but what about the migrants who have nowhere to spend the night - not a word - there'll be an inquiry.
There's always an inquiry

The result of Macron consistently relying on the police & gendarmerie to resolve French social problems - he's lost control of them and they already have a feeling of impunity but want even more.
This law was drafted by the main police union Alliance and will lead to more violent repression and authoritarism.

Last week a new law slipped into the package on "research" - that henceforth students occupying their university campus or amphitheatre risk a prison sentence of up to 3 years - just try protesting against inscription fees and you'll get gassed and flashballed

end of rant
Not to mention the use of private security agents to supplement the police 😡 The use of drones etc.

And now the govt is proposing to establish a new Préfecture to handle immigration.

So Castex has said he will refer the law to the Conseil d'Etat - but I believe Eric Coquerel has already done so.

And what about the removal (to put it politely) of immigrants from the Place de la République?

Sadly many here seem to prefer the head in sand approach, probably believing that none of this will impact them 😥

!what kind of 'democracy' are we living in?

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Sadly many here seem to prefer the head in sand approach, probably believing that none of this will impact them 😥

!what kind of 'democracy' are we living in?
I wouldn't accuse anyone "here" (= on the forum?) - of preferring a head in sand approach.
My personal social & political convictions makes that recent shifts in France are quite painful for me
but I understand that the majority of people have other priorities.

As for democracy - in the days when we were campaigning for the RIC (referendum initiative citoyen),
I did conferences on the subject and stated that the RIC was just a tool amongst others.

Notably the end of the presidential septennat has lead to parliamentary and presidential elections coinciding
so that for 5 years there's no possibility of change.
Renewing half of deputies & senateurs at "mi-mandat" (half-term) elections would be a welcome tweak.

Taking "votes blancs" into consideration would be useful.
If there are more white ballots than the prevailing candidate, well let's try someone else.

And the monarchic status of the president - roll on the 6th republic

Build back better rolls well on the tongue but unless certain politicians put their ego in their back pocket and agree on a workable alternative, we'll be having the same discussion 5 years onwards

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
This issue seems to have completely exploded in France, especially with the horrific Michel incident.
Just the tip of the iceberg.
There are sufficient laws already in place to handle security
- apart from rendering the investigating bodies (IGPN etc) independent.

I'll make a parallel with Mme Pompili (?) creating the new crime of "Ecocide".
The laws to punish polluters already exist but they're largely ignored - scandal on dairy & cheese industrial Lactalis.

Macron was shocked by the video of the attack on Zecler and quite rightly so
but if he rubs burnt cork on his face, puts on sneakers and a hoody then goes traipsing incognito around Porte de la Chapelle or Stalingrad he might get some first-hand experience.

Takes me back to the title of the book Ruffin wrote on Macron: "ce pays que tu connais pas"

Tomorrow demonstrations in Paris, Lyon, Marseille, Bordeaux etc against the Law

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just the tip of the iceberg.
There are sufficient laws already in place to handle security
- apart from rendering the investigating bodies (IGPN etc) independent.

I'll make a parallel with Mme Pompili (?) creating the new crime of "Ecocide".
The laws to punish polluters already exist but they're largely ignored - scandal on dairy & cheese industrial Lactalis.

Macron was shocked by the video of the attack on Zecler and quite rightly so
but if he rubs burnt cork on his face, puts on sneakers and a hoody then goes traipsing incognito around Porte de la Chapelle or Stalingrad he might get some first-hand experience.

Takes me back to the title of the book Ruffin wrote on Macron: "ce pays que tu connais pas"

Tomorrow demonstrations in Paris, Lyon, Marseille, Bordeaux etc against the Law
Across the entire country in fact, and certainly not just in the big cities.

Seems to have thrown the Government into complete chaos as it struggles with the role of the Parliament and the deputies, whilst at the same time ignoring the handling of amendments (i.e. and yet again) just ignoring all amendments from opposition deputies).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts