Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have recently purchased a villa in Quinta do Lago which we will use during the winter. Too cold here in SW France. The house has heating and also a large open fireplace in the sitting room which burns logs. My question is; where do you buy logs? Do you order them as we do here in France from the local woodsman or do you buy them packaged up in a store or petrol station?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can usually order them from the local woodsman but they are also usually available from other sources albeit at a higher price.

FWIW, I was paying €40 per cubic metre last year.
Many thanks. €40 is a third less than we pay in France.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Lucy,

Just had 100% hardwood logs delivered at the same price as TM,although a percentage is roots,but they burn just as good as the above ground timber/logs,nice on a log burner or open fire,from a local supplier.

Good luck with finding your local supplier,

David

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all for the advice. I have been able to order the logs which will be delivered and stacked when we arrive. We are hoping for milder winter weather than we have in SW France, one of the reasons for buying a home for winter on the Algarve.

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
Thank you all for the advice. I have been able to order the logs which will be delivered and stacked when we arrive. We are hoping for milder winter weather than we have in SW France, one of the reasons for buying a home for winter on the Algarve.
Will depend a lot on where in the Algarve you've bought and the type and age of property especially as you only mention 1 fire

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Will depend a lot on where in the Algarve you've bought and the type and age of property especially as you only mention 1 fire
Hi,

We are in Qinta Do Largo. The house is 2 storey, detached has five beds and is 3 years old. It has rev air-con and one log fire in the sitting room. It has a lot of big windows which are all double glazed.

Cheers

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
Winter you'll need aircon heat and fire, doubt that fire would be sufficient, it's not that temperatures plummet for long periods, it's will always feel colder indoors than out, hopefully windows have thermal breaks
IPMA - Mapas

·
Registered
22 Posts
David Stunell is based in Sao Bras but delivers to most of the East Algarve. You will find that one fire is not quite enough for the large house. Central heating is difficult in the Algarve. You might need to depend on the heating mode of an air conditioning system

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have been offered cork wood at 60€ a cubic metre which is 20€ more than I normally pay for a mix. I'm told it burns slower, produces more heat with the advantage of less tar and soot, correct or not?

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
It helps to start fire with pine etc easier too light and add oak or olive when fire built up it'll keep in longer that way

1 - 15 of 15 Posts