Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, Does anybody know about building regulations for pre-fab log house's, I am thinking of building a series of small log cabins and a main larger cabin in the alps for holiday rental accomodation and our own home. I would appreciate any help provided and look forward to your responses, cheers peps:)

G

·
Spend half a day looking at log cabins in your chosen area and in line with what you want to build.

Go find a local architect.

Go see the local Mairie.

Between the three, you'll have as much information as a month of looking at paper will tell you.

·
Administrator
51,543 Posts
Hi there, Does anybody know about building regulations for pre-fab log house's, I am thinking of building a series of small log cabins and a main larger cabin in the alps for holiday rental accomodation and our own home. I would appreciate any help provided and look forward to your responses, cheers peps:)
It depends if you can get building permission from the local mairie (which is also influenced by the building regulations in your departement/prefecture). Depends on a whole bunch of factors, including the local land-use plan, and whether or not you can convince the mairie to approve a "non-standard" type of architecture and building materials. Some mairies are easier about this sort of thing than others.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Spend half a day looking at log cabins in your chosen area and in line with what you want to build.

Go find a local architect.

Go see the local Mairie.

Between the three, you'll have as much information as a month of looking at paper will tell you.
Thanks for replying so fast, but I have looked around for anything similar and all the chalets seem to be concrete construction with wood cladding. But do you think the marie would be able to give me a definative answer as to wether a russian pre-fab log cabin would be ok?

Many thanks.. :D Robinski..

G

·
arie would be able to give me a definative answer as to wether a russian pre-fab log cabin would be ok?
Quite possibly - why not ask? However, you'd KNOW for a fact that the concrete-shelled jobs would be acceptable, why not chase up some quotes for those at the same time.

Also, FWIW, theres a pre-fab log chalet up on a hill near us, made in Lithuania so may not be comparable with the ones you've got in mind, but having looked round it and heard the owners tales of woe in the construction, I wouldn't touch one with a barge pole. Near-Zero resale value.....

·
Registered
254 Posts
arie would be able to give me a definative answer as to wether a russian pre-fab log cabin would be ok?

Quite possibly - why not ask? However, you'd KNOW for a fact that the concrete-shelled jobs would be acceptable, why not chase up some quotes for those at the same time.

Also, FWIW, theres a pre-fab log chalet up on a hill near us, made in Lithuania so may not be comparable with the ones you've got in mind, but having looked round it and heard the owners tales of woe in the construction, I wouldn't touch one with a barge pole. Near-Zero resale value.....
Agree... the one's built in the Sierra Nevada's in Calif look nice at first but .... They tend not to hold their value and the are not easy to modify or repair.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It depends if you can get building permission from the local mairie (which is also influenced by the building regulations in your departement/prefecture). Depends on a whole bunch of factors, including the local land-use plan, and whether or not you can convince the mairie to approve a "non-standard" type of architecture and building materials. Some mairies are easier about this sort of thing than others.
Cheers,
Bev
Thanks Bev, it seems bringing wine cheese and olive branches to the marie might be the only answer. wish me luck:wave:

G

·
Hi Robinski,

Some coincidence, both the subject matter and your location! I actually have a friend, a Brit who's lived in 2 Alpes for many years, who spent an age looking into the possibility of dismantling a log chalet she had in Scotland (I think), with a view to reassembling it on a plot in 2 Alpes. I think the logistics or possibly the by-laws defeated her in the end, but you could do worse than give her a call seeing as you're local!

Her number will be on her website. She'll be pretty busy at the moment, seeing as it's Feb and she's a self-employed ski instructor, but she's always happy to go for a coffee!

The website is Easiski, individual coaching and ski lessons in Les 2 Alpes - say hi to Charlotte from me (Peter Garwood), if you get in touch.

By the way, she's an excellent ski instructor, one of the best I know, should anyone take a trip to Les Deux Alpes :).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.