Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At work, we have found a fireproof box (mini-safe) in our archive and as you can probably guess, no keys and nobody has even the faintest idea who put it in the archive but its at least 10 years ago judging by the boxes it was hidden behind.

Does anyone have any direct experience of any paperwork that might be required by the police, to get a locksmith to break into the safe, probably by drilling the lock ? We have no physical evidence or paperwork to prove we own it, other than its in our office but its small enough to have ben carried there.

I am in two minds as to whether the Dubai laissez faire attitude to a locksmith breaking in makes it easy, or whether the police expect a mound of paperwork to do it ?

I suspect however judging by the rest of the archive, its probably just rubbish.

·
Super Moderator
Originally from UK but lived in many countries
6,965 Posts
Hi,
You might be over thinking it.
Simply phone a few locksmiths and give them make and size of safe.
Let them know that last key is now lost and ask them if they can open it without damage or otherwise drill it.
Cheers
Steve

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
Had a similar situation in the office recently. Googled locksmiths, picked one of the first ones, called him, sent him a photo of the offending piece of equipment, he called me back, quoted AED 400 but explained we would never be able to use the safe again. An hour later he rocked up with a chap with a bag of tools, two minutes later, voila, the safe was open.

·
Super Moderator
6,965 Posts
Had a similar situation in the office recently. Googled locksmiths, picked one of the first ones, called him, sent him a photo of the offending piece of equipment, he called me back, quoted AED 400 but explained we would never be able to use the safe again. An hour later he rocked up with a chap with a bag of tools, two minutes later, voila, the safe was open.
Did it contain treasure??

·
Super Moderator
6,965 Posts
Hahaha sadly no. We knew what was in it, it's just the lock broke. Tell you something, we are all in the wrong game - AED 400 for two minutes work. It took longer to pay him than it did to open the safe.
Well it wasn't a very "safe" safe then!

Try breaking into a Chubb - would take almost a day (without dynamite)

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
quoted AED 400 but explained we would never be able to use the safe again.
I might just go down to Ace Hardware and buy their biggest crowbar then :D

Never had a use for one before but could be good to leave in the apartment and when people ask why I have it, I'll say that Mrs TWG uses it to beat me with ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts