Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Lockerbie

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  aykalam 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Yes I remember the night so well and unusually for me in great detail.

I watched the news flash which just told of a plane going down in the border village of Lockerbie details were scarce as they didn't really know anything. I had to go out to collect my husband from the pub and on arriving told him and the rest of the pub (no tvs constantly playing then) . I was up in Northumberland within days in a place called Holystone and as we walked over the countryside we were picking up the AX credit card payment slips from the plane also the stuffing from the seats was hanging from the trees like angel hair. We had been asked to look out for debris and pick up small items big items to be noted and reported. Later we were driving up to Greenock and passed Lockerbie which had a huge wooden fence erected to stop rubber neckers causing driving accidents.

Greenock is my childhood town and the home of the prison Megrahi was held. I don't know if it is widely known but his wife and family stayed in Scotland all the time he was in prison not in Greenock but definitely close by, I would think probably Paisley or Glagow. I don't know why he was held in Greenock and not Peterhead,, which is high risk, other than maybe so that his wife and children could visit easily and be anonymous in Glasgow or Paisley .

Did he do it? Did the order come from Tripoli? Was he a scapegoat? Was the Maltese shopkeeper mistaken.

I know that they had to find someone to blame and to be found guilty even if it was just to appease the public. If indeed the order came from Tripoli why was the British government still doing business with Gadaffi up until his downfall? The man who armed the IRA and gave the order for Lockerbie, who could forget Yvonne Fletcher"
There are more questions than answers in this case.

#3 ·
Like you Maiden i can remember exactly what i was doing when the news came through...one of my sons was on leave from the Royal Navy he was ironing his clothes and watching tv at same time...i was downstairs in the kitchen cooking for the customers of the pub we had at the time when he came and told me what had happened...very scary as the pub was in north northumberland not far from the border so we also had debri scattered about.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.