Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 223 Posts

·
Registered
5,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are in lockdown...but not in lockdown.:unsure:

Everyone around here is going about their daily business. No one is in lockdown.

So what is going on ?

I reckon this is just a first step to get people used to the idea then things will tighten and tighten according to the stats.

What do you think ?

·
Registered
563 Posts
Not been out today but yesterday it was super busy in both our village and the closest small town where I nipped for kebabs for lunch!

·
Registered
5,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not been out today but yesterday it was super busy in both our village and the closest small town where I nipped for kebabs for lunch!
Kababs...the stable diet of the French :D

If aliens landed in France they would think that kababs was their national dish. Or may be Sushi.

Defiantly not food anyway. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
563 Posts
Ahhhh I love a kebab :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: although they are only about 10% as good as Aussie kebabs - they are amazing! I think they are Lebanese style, loads of salad, hummous, Lebanese tabouli (the parsley and cracked bulgar wheat variety rather than the nasty carby stuff here).
1604066924167.png
1604067023616.png

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
Have been out twice today and seen very few people. Very little traffic on the main road in front of my apartment complex. It's at least as quiet here as during the last lockdown.

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
Ahhhh I love a kebab :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: although they are only about 10% as good as Aussie kebabs - they are amazing! I think they are Lebanese style, loads of salad, hummous, Lebanese tabouli (the parsley and cracked bulgar wheat variety rather than the nasty carby stuff here).
View attachment 98534 View attachment 98533 View attachment 98534
Oh how i miss the Aussie kebabs, especially the tabouli - they are the Lebanese version which is the major difference.

·
Administrator
49,111 Posts
I think there is a general sense that things are going to be a bit "easier" through the weekend, due to people returning from the Toussaint holiday. Monday, however, things could start getting serious. Though it depends on the level of patrols and policing in your area. I went through the last lockdown without even once having to show my paperwork. DH got checked once (and then only because he was on a one way stretch of road where he couldn't turn around when he saw a line was forming).

·
Registered
439 Posts
The last lockdown, while standing in the grocery line, we all got checked 3 times within 15 minutes by different police persons. That was the only time I was checked.

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
We are in lockdown...but not in lockdown.:unsure:

Everyone around here is going about their daily business. No one is in lockdown.

So what is going on ?

I reckon this is just a first step to get people used to the idea then things will tighten and tighten according to the stats.

What do you think ?
Problem is you live in a bubble and have no idea who has to go to work etc. Your view of the world is based on your own household, which is not the real world for many. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
297 Posts
Very quiet here, apart from a short flurry of activity to take kids to school and fetch them home.

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
Got back from walking my dog about half an hour ago.

On the way downstairs, came across an elderly neighbour who was getting into the lift to go to his letterbox. He was very worried and did not understand what is allowed and what is not, hasn't been able to access attestations.

Then I came across 3 friends in the park, all wearing masks and of course we maintained distance from each other. One had an attestation because they get the local paper and she cut it out from there. Another had hand-written, signed and dated a piece of paper to state she was out to exercise her dog, but we pointed out to her she had written in yesterday's date. The third didn't have one at all because she hadn't been able to access one. All were confused and very annoyed because of the complexity of trying to understand what is allowed and what is not. None were out longer than an hour, but one possibly lives slightly over 1 km away - she was particularly annoyed because she always has to take her dog outside because the garden of the HLM apartment block is locked and they refuse to give the key to anyone.

Apart from that, there were a few more people around because of people who had finished work and were taking the opportunity to exercise before dark.

There was 1 particularly agressive guy who came past us with 2 dogs - we all said to each other that most people seem particularly stressed right now.

Very little traffic for that time of day, which is part of peak 'hour' here.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Very quiet here, apart from a short flurry of activity to take kids to school and fetch them home.
Nobody saw the deliberate mistake there ;)
I noticed a few cars at about school time, but it can't have been the school run, can it?
Probably some "lucky" people going to work.

·
Registered
5,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Problem is you live in a bubble and have no idea who has to go to work etc. Your view of the world is based on your own household, which is not the real world for many. :rolleyes:
Strange that.

If you had watched France 2 news last night you would know what I am talking about.

They had footage of places across France. It looked very busy to me.

Largely because it seems most shops are open.

Strange lockdown given Covid is worse now than the spring outbreak.

·
Administrator
49,111 Posts
It's hard to judge the current lockdown since we're still in the "transition period" this weekend - to allow for folks returning home from their Toussaint holidays. But there are some "issues" being raised about bookshops being closed but not the book sections in the hypermarkets, etc, etc. Evidently the florists can remain open ("due to the Toussaint holiday") even though that seems a blatant violation of the precious "laïcité" doctrine but the hypermarkets were ordered to cordon off their florist sections.

I would expect things to get a little bit firmer come Monday (after the holiday) however the overarching concern seems to be that of "saving the economy" rather than eliminating the virus. I do think that when they don't get the desired results by the end of November, they are going to have to bite the bullet and forget about trying to "save the year-end holiday season" - by which they mean Christmas (again, the laïcité thing rears its ugly head).

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
I went through the last lockdown without even once having to show my paperwork.
The wife and I each had to show our attestations once during the last confinement. Not a biggie.
I have attestations pre-filled-out (printed) with name, address, etc. so that all either of us need to do is fill in the date and time.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
They had footage of places across France. It looked very busy to me.
The local Auchan hypermarket was very busy on Thursday with people stocking up but yesterday and today things were quiet locally. The local market is open for business today with what appears to be a normal crowd. Dogs are being walked, runners are running and people are out for a walk with and without their children.

1 - 20 of 223 Posts